My guests do not lock the apartment door

Olena15
Level 2
England, United Kingdom

My guests do not lock the apartment door

Dear all,

When I am in, I can hear them leaving and coming in not even attempting to lock the door. I live in a town centre apartment block + having my door unlocked will invalidate my insurance should anything go missing. I placed a note on the door, eye level, you cannot miss it, asking to keep the door locked at all times. It had no effect. Yesterday, when leaving the place, I locked the door just to receive a call telling me they could not get in. I advised using the key and had an interesting response: oh, so it was not locked from inside?

I have them for another three days. I wish I could ask them to leave and find some other place. I do not want any confrontation.

What is best to do?

29 Replies 29
Cormac0
Level 10
Kraków, Poland

@Olena15

Check how many people are staying, as this in my indicate you have more people staying then you expected or alternately they may have lost the keys!

Olena15
Level 2
England, United Kingdom

Thank you, Cormac. It is only two of my official guests. They do have the key because they need to use it to get into the block of flats.

Olena15
Level 2
England, United Kingdom

Thank you, Cormac. It is only two of my official guests. They do have the key because when I lock it, they are able to open.

@Olena15

Well...... if those guests are intent on not locking doors there is little anyone can do to MAKE them do something they don't want to. With that said, if this is a persistent issue with multiple guest groups you might want to consider upgrading to an auto-lock system and a doorbell camera. 

As a host you may have to do things that are not comfortable - especially when you have guests that do not follow rules and act in a way that threatens your safety and well-being. 

Thank you, Jessica & Henry. Good tips for the future.

John1080
Level 10
Westcliffe, CO

@Olena15, I agree with @Jessica-and-Henry0 about looking at alternative locks.

We should not have to do this, but sometimes as hosts, if we see something occurring over and over such as this, we as hosts have to learn from it and adapt. Again, hosts should not have to be the ones to adapt, but the reality is that if we want our business to continue to be successful it becomes necessary. 

Olena15
Level 2
England, United Kingdom

Thank you, John.

Branka-and-Silvia0
Level 10
Zagreb, Croatia

@Olena15

we have exact the same problem. During check in I emphasise ( multiple times ! ) that they should ALWAYS lock the door WITH A KEY! When they come in and when they go out! ALWAYS! Because there was a burglary in the neighbourhood recently. And we have a note on the door too ! Eye level !

But anyway, 1 out of 10 groups of guests don't lock the door. Uhhhhh ! 😞 

I wonder where they live? In a tent??? I mean, this is a building in a city center of the capital !

We intend to upgrade to Yale auto lock. It is expensive but I hope it is full proof.

Yulianna0
Level 10
Madrid, Spain

I feel envy for those who are used not to lock the doors. Seems that they are living in absolutely safe world. But I have second group that even do not close the door! First one was in summer, but in winter it really made me angry. Do they use their heads just to eat?! 

.... and to make selfies :)))))

@Yulianna0

Gerry-And-Rashid0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Olena15

We have the same problem ocassionaly and we solved it by doing the following.

After your guests have arrived - tell them, the most important thing to you is that they lock the door correctly. Physically take the to the door and make them do it (from inside and outside).

We have a secure door with a weird locking mechanism and this method really gets it into their head. Ask who is going to be responsible for the key and get them to do it.

Show them how to check if they have done it properly.

Good one!

Still, means investing into some other lock. And treat each guest as an intellectually challenged not being able to use a simple lock or follow a simple rule.

Overall, it has been very reassuring that I am the only one who encountered the issue.

I can throw in one more interesting detail: my main guest is a host themselves, know nothing about their +1, though.

Olena15
Level 2
England, United Kingdom

Overall, it has been very reassuring that I am NOT the only one who encountered the issue.

@Gerry-And-Rashid0we do that all the time because not all our guests are used to old-school-european locks... but stilll..... 1 of 10 ... aaahhh...