My home just flooded,?

Wendy1102
Level 2
Frisco, TX

My home just flooded,?

i cannot reach a real person at airbnb support, what don I don with my currently booked guests??co-host@wendy1102

6 Replies 6

@Wendy1102  I'm so sorry you're going through this without Airbnb customer support at your side. It might be days before you get any meaningful response, so here's about the best you can do on your own:

1) Open the guests' booking (ideally on the desktop version of the site) and select "Change or Cancel")

2) Update the checkout date to today and make any necessary adjustments so that the guests are refunded for the unused nights

3) If your town is passable, help the guests with any necessary measures to safely transit to drier ground and alternate accommodation. If it's not, I'm sure you already have a protocol for how to get through flood nights - so just make sure your guests are equipped for that until they can move on.

By the terms of the Guest Refund Policy, your guests will be eligible for a refund of the remaining nights if their rooms are affected by the flood, so it's easiest for you if you get in front of it. But Airbnb's customer support has extreme waiting periods at the moment, so anything you can do to look after your guests' safety will be massively helpful to them and ultimately reflected well in your reviews later.

How do I rebook or cancel my booked guests whom I  cannot

accommodate?

@Wendy1102  This is the embarrassingly hard part. What should happen is that you call Airbnb, they do a back-door cancellation under Extenuating Circumstances, and they help the guest make alternate arrangements. And I do encourage you to try and get help along these lines (the contact numbers are pinned to the top of this subforum, if you hit the back button and scroll to the top).

I don't know whether you'll get service in the appropriate amount of time, so this is where Airbnb might fail you as a service. But I don't recommend cancelling from your end (penalties). You won't be rebooking the dates that you're flooded, so that's not an issue, but your booked guests will want a fast refund, so encourage them to cancel. You can issue a refund for your nightly rate via the Resolutions tool, and they can pursue compensation for their service fee from Airbnb in due time.

An alternative would be to offer a date change, but this only seems viable if the guests are from your general region and you feel confident in how soon the damage will be fully repaired.

I wish I knew a better workaround, and I really hope you get faster customer service than many others in the forum have reported - this advice is just for what to do if Airbnb doesn't come through for you.

Cathie19
Level 10
Darwin, Australia

@Liv , @Katie , @Lizzie  help needed here?  😊

Katie
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Thanks for the tag @Cathie19 🙂

@Wendy1102 welcome to the CC, and I'm so sorry to hear about the flooding to your home. Did you manage to get through to Support in the end? Let me know and if so I can try and chase this up on our end for you.

💐👏🏼👏🏼