My host claiming damages which are not at all done by me- And AIRBNB simply accepted his request.

Kiran41
Level 2
Hyderabad, India

My host claiming damages which are not at all done by me- And AIRBNB simply accepted his request.

Hallo All,

I had a very bad experience with the Airbnb support and claim team. I have bellow issue with them. My kid wrote on wall and some ink marks on the bed while I stayed at one of the Airbnb host house. I agreed to pay the amount for which I am responsible for (Marks and Bed + extar cleaning). But my host reported all damages in house (Old damages and newly created damages). I wrote a note to host and airbnb regarding the issue they where silent for almost one month(3

0+ days). finaly I received a mail from claim team that I have to pay for all the damges + one month rent(actual delay happed with airbnb).

Problem With Airbnb:

I raised a issue that I am not able to pay the amount to my host using any of the payment option. - No solution from AIRBNB.

But finaly I my lost mail I received a link to pay/transfer a money to host. - How it's possible after one month. they can send same link on day one itself right(day - issue with the payment options). That is not happen. but at the end I have received a mail with link. (extra damages + one month rent).

Problem with the host:

Host shared some images to airbnb, it's easy to findout, its a damage or created. I do not use pink color pen, We do not have pink color pen, but host claiming pink color marks on floor like that AIRBNB investigation team can detect newly created damges by host. 

5 Replies 5
Kaylee18
Level 10
Hamilton, Canada

@Kiran41    A lot of hosts will take pictures of their listing before the guests arrive to document the state before and after a guest. It could have been possible this host did that. 

It's always a good idea as a guest as well to take photos of your accommodation when you arrive and when you leave in case they are needed for situations like this. 

Hope things are worked out! 

Host able to show photos after i left the house. no before arrival photos.

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Kiran41  The problem with a guest causing damage is that the host might then start looking around for other damages, see things they may not have ever noticed before and assume it was your responsibilty, as well. Saying you didn't have a pink pen, while it may be quite true, can sound like an excuse not to pay up. No one but you knows if you had a pink pen or not.

I don't understand what the one month rent is about- rent never comes into play if it's only about a damage claim. Can you explain that part?

As far as the damages, the fact is, you allowed your child to behave in ways that you knew weren't okay, a child needs to be supervised. Unfortunately, this led to the situation you now find yourself in, which sounds a bit more complex than drawing on the wall and stains on the bedding.

I don't understand what the one month rent is about- rent never comes into play if it's only about a damage claim. Can you explain that part?

Actually I though to pay damages on day one it self, But I couldn't because there was a issue with payment options, I intimated to HOST and AIRBNB regarding the same. I haven't received reply from my host or solution(Resolution) from AIRBNB. And at the end I received(After 1 month) a link from airbnb with damages and rent for 1 month. This is I won't agree with airbnb and host.

@Kiran41 The only way you would be being charged a month's rent is if this was a long-term reservation and you moved out before you had completed the reservation. For instance, if you booked the place for 3 months and left after 1 month, you will be charged for 2 months. This is clearly stated on the long-term cancellation policy that a guest agrees to when they book a place long-term. I can't think of any other reason you would be charged for a month's rent. The month's rent would have nothing to do with a damage claim.