Announcements

Winter Release Q&A with Airbnb’s Christy Schrader

Winter Release Q&A session

My host is charging me taxes on top of what I paid

Opi0
Level 1
Córdoba, Spain

My host is charging me taxes on top of what I paid

Hi, Just wondering if this is normal. My partner and I are in Rome for a week and have paid the host the air bnb fees, but on arrival she has asked for 7€ a night for taxes in Rome. This strikes me as odd as I beleieve it should have been included in the original price displayed. Had anyone had this problem before ? 

2 Replies 2
David-and-Fiona0
Level 10
Panglao, Philippines

I doubt this is legitimate but other Italian hosts will comment I am sure

Clare0
Level 10
Templeton, CA

@Opi0 It would not be unusual for a host to ask guests to pay Occupancy Taxes when they arrive.  In some large cities Airbnb has a way of collecting this tax, but unfortunately not in all areas.   In my case in California, Airbnb automatically collects these taxes in San Francisco but not in my town.  According to this article from Airbnb my choices are 1. to include the tax in my nightly price and pay the tax out of my pocket or 2. collect from the guest when they arrive.  I've chosen option 1 since option 2 raises questions such as you have noted.

https://www.airbnb.com/help/article/654/what-is-occupancy-tax--do-i-need-to-collect-or-pay-it

Before paying, however, I would ask the host to provide you with a business license certificate or its equivalent for the country in which the listing is located.  That way you know that the payment request is legitimate. 

Happy Travels!