My host sent me refund money, how do I access it?

Kate318
Level 1
Hong Kong

My host sent me refund money, how do I access it?

I recently had an AirBnB experience which was not great, but the host was very nice and sent me the money refunded. I got an email from AirBnB saying it had been refunded, and I can see the amount listed in the "resolutions centre". However I don't know how to access this money. It hasn't appeared in my bank account, and it isn't in "travel credit" either.

Any ideas? 

Thanks!

13 Replies 13
Marzena4
Level 10
Kraków, Poland

@Kate318 As a guest, you provided airbnb with your card details so the refund should reach you in this way, in the form of credit in your card account record. It takes a few days for that operation to be completed.

// "The only person you can trust is yourself"
Kimberly169
Level 1
Virginia Beach, VA

Did the money ever show up in your account?  I am having the same problem.

I’m having the same problem.

It has been 3 weeks for me now.

Did you get the money?

Kristian47
Level 1
Kihei, HI

We have a great host here in Krakow, Poland, who has worked with us on a purchase we made to improve her space, and has sent us a reimbursement via Airbnb for the $$ we spent.  

We received email notification from Airbnb of the reimbursement/refund, and in that notification it said the funds would be credited to our method of payment on our account.  Thanks Airbnb!

Theodore40
Level 1
Minneapolis, MN

No one on this thread confirmed if they got the money... 

Lê5
Level 1
Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam

Hey guys, I got the same issue, the host sent back the money and it showed in my notification. But my bank account didn't get anything ! 

Dozie2
Level 2
Kent, WA

Paid guest wrongly for cancellation,I was told to forget it,what do I do?

Lauren2277
Level 1
Australia

Did you ever get the money? I am having the same problem 

I had the same problem, Airbnb said I need to add a “payout method” and the money should then go to whatever account I put in.

Aslan12
Level 1
Dresden, DE

I think i have found the solution. 
In the account setting => "Payments & payouts" segment there are three tabs : Payments, payouts, & Taxes. In the Payments part we have our paying method (probably a creditcard) however when clicking on the "Payouts" tab there are no method saved (probably because i am just a guest and not a host). So i add a new payout method. For Germany there were Paypal (fast but might cost some fees) and Bank account transfer (takes few days but no fees required). So let's see if this will work to receive my refund back 

@Aslan12 did you receive a refund?  Did this method work? 

Joanne585
Level 2
Churchville, MD

I don't know how this works. I received from the host a credit but do not know how to access it. Does anyone here know how this works??

Harriman0
Level 1
Jakarta, Indonesia

My host sent me money in March 22nd for reimbursement. My primary payment method for the reservation was through Debit card.

Until April 3rd, I already created a 'Payout' method which is my Paypal account, following the suggestions from the community.

Several days passed, I had not find anything in my Paypal account.

I didn't know where the money went -- UNTIL ...

I checked the transaction history of my primary payment method (which is, yes, my Debit bank account).

It turned out that I received the money on March 23rd on my Debit account 😅

---

So, I suggest all of you who encounter this issue to:

1. Read your email from AirBnb regarding any money-resolutions-related activities

2. In the email, there should be a statement from AirBnb (to me, which I missed to read) "You should receive this money in your account for this reservation within 5-7 business days."

I hope this helps other travelers with similar issue!