My house burned down, now what?

Megan822
Level 3
Amesbury, MA

My house burned down, now what?

Please read before commenting:

My home burned down last night, it is multifamily; we live upstairs and rent the downstairs. The fire was NOT the result of a guest, but started in our unit. The damage in the airbnb unit is mostly water and a little smoke. It will be months before we can start hosting again. 

I contacted Airbnb customer support; in addition to fire engines, my frantic husband, bystanders, and all that I had an extremely difficult time understanding the representative as our primary languages are not the same. I needed to know what to do for the current guest as well as my future guests. To the best of my understanding, it is my responsibility to cancel each reservation, the problem is I'm being charged $50-100 for each cancellation. 

After the initial conversation with support, I've received no follow up communication and don't know what to do. 

Have you been through this? What did you do? What advice do you have for getting my upcoming guests the information and cancellations without being dinged on each one? 

Any helpful advice would be much appreciated! 

4 Replies 4
Annie1372
Level 10
Montreal, Canada

@Megan822 

I’m really sorry for you situation as a fire 🔥 is terrible for anyone, worsen with your AirBNB bellow

imI understand the story is different as the fire is not related with your guest, but here is a post about 2 other AirBNB that had also a fire, maybe they would be able to give you proper advice in relation with CS

https://community.withairbnb.com/t5/Help/House-Fire/m-p/1625265#M359754

Sending you positive energy to go through this.

Annie

Thank you. I did a cursory read-through and most of the links are about claims... I will not be making a claim since it isn't abnb related. Sounds like that host was having similar issues, though. I just want abb to close out my existing reservations, without a fee, and put my account on hold until we're ready again. 

Quincy
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Oh no, I'm so sorry to hear about this @Megan822! I will pass your question regarding the cancellations on to the team. Hopefully, there's something they can do for you. 

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines // Volg de communityrichtlijnen

Branka-and-Silvia0
Level 10
Zagreb, Croatia

@Megan822there is no cancelation fee when/if you and your guest agree to mutual cancelation.

IF I remember it properly, your guest initiates the cancelation and you agree to a full refund.