My house is in a great area but some have to drive through a sketchy one to get there.

Nina204
Level 6
Pittsburgh, PA

My house is in a great area but some have to drive through a sketchy one to get there.

Hi all.  My house is at the top of a hill with Panaramic views of Pittsburgh.   Pittsburgh is very hilly with narrow streets so I get dinged on location (as if you can have a view without having to drive on a hill)  but my main problem with low location stars is for the people coming from the West, their GPS takes them through a very run down, low income area.  We are about 2 miles down the road from there but quite a few people mention the "hairy, sketchy, etc, etc. area.  Any ideas or wording I could use or is it best to just let it be?  I do have directions to bypass the super steep hills because in the beginning a few people mentioned it negatively in my reviews.  I could add directions from the west bypassing that area but depending on traffic that could add another 30 minutes to their arrival to the house.   Any suggestions would be much appreciated!  Thank you!

3 Replies 3

@Nina204 would you be willing to mention the sketchy area nearby, if only to point out that your property is *not* in that sketchy area (but that guests might have to drive through it)?

Good reviews are easier to get if guest's expectations match up well with reality.

If the guest has been forewarned "you will drive through (sketchy neighborhood) which is not very nice. But our listing is outside (sketchy neighborhood) and our neighborhood is very nice." there is a greater chance they will not mark you down for it.

Guest's generally don't like unpleasant surprises.

Yes, maybe when I mention the "hills" I will also mention that area to the people  coming from that direction.  Good idea!

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Nina204   Maybe when communicating with guests pre-arrival you can make the 2 options for driving to your place clear- 

If you follow GPS directions it will take you through a sketchy area before arriving at our home in a nice area. If you follow my directions, it could take 30 minutes longer, and is hilly, but you won't be driving through the sketchy area.

Just try to be super clear about the options and let the guests make their own choice.