My house rules clearly state no young children, guest brings 2-year old

Karin5
Level 5
Levittown, PA

My house rules clearly state no young children, guest brings 2-year old

A guest, from China and speaks little English, used instant book (the day before check-in), and has 2 good reviews. After he books he tells me about his 3 children, including one 2-year-old, which is my biggest concern. He also has a 7-year-old and an 11-year-old, who are old enough and past that stage of racing around, touching things, and putting things in their mouth.

I allowed children at one time but then I got too nervous as I am not using to having children around, and with the unsafe areas in the house. I have never had children so I am unfamiliar with parenting. My house has always been kept clean and maintained, and I have many touch-worthy things in the house, including some expensive decorations from Europe, which would be enticing to children. I thought it was best to start disallowing children for safety reasons. I then modified my listing to make it as clear as day that due to prior guest experiences, young children are not permitted.

Despite this emphasized in my listing, this guest uses instant book, and I see he is brining a 2-year-old. That struck a nerve. I had to explain to him in a nice way that it was on my listing that young children are not permitted. His only response was "Sorry I not know much english. yes I will be careful, and watch him".

This guest is is staying two nights, tonight and tomorrow. Because it was a last minute booking, I dont know if I could have canceled the reservation and explain I had in the house rules young children are not permitted. Seeing he used AirBnB before, I would think he would know to read the house rules. But since this is a short stay, I'm not sure if I should just let him finish the stay, and remind him again to read the house rules, and make sure the listing allows children, before booking. Should I also mention something in the review (maybe not the public review, but the private feedback)?

5 Replies 5
Clare0
Level 10
Templeton, CA

@Karin5 Well, it's up to you to decide whether he stays or goes.  I also have a no small children policy in the description and in my House Rules.  Before I accept a reservation (I don't use IB for the very problem you are describing) I require that the guest message me back stating that they have read the house rules and that they agree to them.  No excuses. 

As far as a review goes, you might state that the guest is not fluent in English and therefore might miss some important details in listing details.  That's not necessarily a negative review since he admitted this fact.  It would alert future English speaking hosts to ask more questions than normal. 

Hey @Karin5 

Seems to me that I am now not the only one who needs to have guests write back saying they have read the rules and agree they understand and will have no issue following them, since @Clare0 has now mentioned that she does that too. I can tell you that I have had no further problems with guests since starting that a few months ago. I have posted this a few times now about advising other hosts doing this too.   I added Instant booking 3 weeks ago because they now have the option to only accept bookings from guests who have great reviews and recommended by other hosts. 

I too had a family from China with a 4 month old infant used INSTANT booking my first month I was a host, (and my rules too said NO children) and they only booked as ONE guest.  Imagine my shock when I opened my security door to see a family checking in for our private room.  This is also the same family that husband was caught smoking .....twice.

I booked a SuperHost place  (condo) today for my summer trip to California, and noticed that Airbnb has now added one more feature for people to click on....they now have to click on the box saying they understand that their security deposit will be used for a reported damage to host homes.  Did you know this @Clare0 ?  It wasn't there a month ago when I booked another place to stay for March.

You definitley should do what makes you comfortable, but keep in mind, that if you get any future bookings from foreign guests, I would reach out to Airbnb for a translator (which I have also done) and have them contact this guests to remind him that any damage will be his responsibility to pay.  And to also remind them what your rules say....in case they want to cancel.  Good luck.

If you feel that me or another host have helped you, feel free to click on the "thumbs up" button at the end of any post. Thank you so much.

Aloha, Momi

Great way to contact Airbnb or via Twitter at AirbnbHelp / Facebook

@Momi0 Re the Security Deposit. No, I didn't know that but I'm glad its there.  Can you provide a screen shot?  Would love to see it!

Hey @Clare0  

I wish I had done that to show everyone on the community wall about the awesome improvements that Airbnb continues to make to ensure that us hosts get security deposit protection.  From a legal standpoint, I did wonder how guests were held liable since they were not required to actually sign anything about knowing they would have to be financially responsbile for any damages to a host home.

I have also discovered that a large percentage of hosts don't even know what their profiles say about pets, children, extra guests or the fact that they had NO security deposit within their profile listing.  That's shocking to me on so many levels.  I think a lot less questions would be posted to this community if the hosts actually took the time to read their own profiles to make sure everything has been addressed.   I have been booking quite a few places the last 30 days to take a weekend here and there, or for my summer trip, and I have to write alot of hosts asking "necessary" questions because their hosts profiles and listings are so LACKING!!!  One host didn't even have anything filled out on her profile about herself, about her place....nada.  And they wonder why they can't get bookings. 

Do you know if there is any position open to be a Host Consultant where I could get paid to help these hosts complete their profiles??  If so, sign me up!  haha  smh after spending hours today looking for places to book within Los Angeles, San Diego and Las Vegas.   maybe I should just drive up and come stay with you.....are you supplying wine for your guests? hahahaha   i may need you and your wine after a week at Disneyland with my family and friends/kids.  I'm looking for a tub, bubble bath and wine.  LOL

If you feel that me or another host have helped you, feel free to click on the "thumbs up" button at the end of any post. Thank you so much.

Aloha, Momi

Great way to contact Airbnb or via Twitter at AirbnbHelp / Facebook

@Momi0 that can  be arranged!!