My listing has been deactivated without warning

Kristen101
Level 2
Halifax, Canada

My listing has been deactivated without warning

Yesterday I received an email from Airbnb notifying me that "they will no longer be able to support my account due to violations of there terms of service"

I logged into my account thinking there must have been some type of mistake. When looking at my host page, I see that all of my upcoming reservations have been canceled and I have access to nothing in my account. But my listing is still showing "listed"

I immediately called and emailed. There was no reason given in the email. Once I got through the 20-minute hold, I was told I would have to wait to hear back by email, that there was no notes on the account and it was a different department that handles this type of situation. I waited a couple of hours and called again because the last representative said it would take about an hour for the person to get back to me. I got the same song and dance no information is available, but they would let the person know I had called. 

I woke up today with still no email or phone call and no information listed on my account. I again called in and was told the same thing there is nothing they can tell me. I sent a lengthy email with as much detail as I could. It has now been 27 hours since the email. I have not gotten an email/phone or any explanation as to what has happened or the reason for my listing "no longer being supported"

Just to add insult, I was just given super host status 1 or 2 days ago. How can I go from being a super host to now no longer being able to use their services?

I am a good host with all positive reviews. I have been hosting since September 2016. My rental is a 5-year-old town home. All brand-new furniture. I just spent almost $1000 on adding new decorative additions, painting and new bedding. As well I had scheduled an appointment to have someone come over and take all brand-new photos for my listing.

I am at a loss of understanding what has happened and how to resolve the issue? I am getting no response from Airbnb to my emails or calls. I also feel awful for my guests who were booked and are now left scrambling around to try and find other accommodations.

The worst part of all of this is the lack of information available to me as a host. Or the lack of warning.

I need advice & help

Thanks

Kristen

27 Replies 27
Emiel1
Level 10
Leeuwarden, The Netherlands

Hello @Kristen101 ,

This is not the first story about this subject. Airbnb terms are clear: they can end a account without further explanation. But it is rather strange not to mention a more specific reason other then "violating their terms". There could also be a mistake, and you will never know !  Maybe this link brings you somewhere: www.airbnb.com/feedback

Best regards,Emiel

Thank you Emiel,

I did call again to try and get more information tonight. I did not find out anything new of why this has happened or how to resolve. But did find out the person handeling my case is out of the office until today or tommorow. That is why I have not gotten a responce. 

I do also understand that they state they can remove a listing for any reason and they do not have to let the host know there reasons. But it seems odd to remove a host that is a super host, who has great reviews and has never had a complaint. My rental has also been booked more days out of the month then not. 

I truly hope this is a mistake or there is some type of action I can do to resolve this issue. Thank you for the link. I am going to hold off on giving my feed back until I have a better understanding of what has happened.

Thanks again

Kristen

Emiel1
Level 10

Hello @Kristen101 ,

I think becoming a Superhost is mainly an automated process, based on some statistics, a job which can be well done by a computer. So don't mix this up with what happened recently to you, allthough i understand your confusion, there is probably no connexion.  When signing up with Airbnb you have to agree to their terms, and yes, they can end doing business with you without any explanation (please note: you can do this also !). I have no idea why they don't want to reveal more details to you. It can also be an "external" factor, which you don't even are aware off and which they don't want to share with you. I think every host would be totally upset by such a  treatment, especially the "what did i do wrong to deserve this ? " question will remain forever.

But you can still continue hosting, there are other  platforms where you can offer your accomodation !

Best regards, Emiel

Branka-and-Silvia0
Level 10
Zagreb, Croatia

@Kristen101 I am so sorry to hear that 😞 it seems that this can happen to any of us anytime. I saw an identical post yesterday from a guy from Cancun Mexico. He was a superhost for 7 years. I've seen similar posts before too.  

After waiting since Monday at 5 Pm . I just got a response from "Cedar" who informed me that the decision will not be reversed and they are under no obligation to inform me of why they have done this. They also are not responsible for any losses (Which I never even mentioned or was concerned about) as well any other accounts or future accounts will be affected and rejected. I have only had one account with Airbnb and would never open a new account only to have this happen to me all over again. I have tried to call countless times to gain information or to speak to some type of supervisor and get no results. Just now while I was on hold I was hung up on. I have waited 15 minutes to see if they would call me back, maybe it was a lost connection. But my gut is telling me that it is not with how I have been treated since this happened.

If I was a bad host, had complaints or even past/current warnings I could understand this a bit better. But I have had none of those things happen. I am a good host with a very upscale rental. I take pride in my rental and go the extra mile for the renters. Everyone has loved my rental and I have had no issues up until now. My mind is baffled trying to understand why & what has happened. What could have caused this to happen. How can you not at the least try to resolve this issue?

The worst part of this whole situation is that I am powerless (They have made sure to let me know that in both emails) I have no recourse, no solutions and no answers as to why. I can’t talk to someone unless by email. It seems very unfair & unprofessional to do this to someone who was working well with there company. I have tried everything I can think of to try and get answers or resolve this situation. I have a huge following on social media but I am reluctant to post anything in the off chance this could be resolved. But I feel like I must do something, I feel like I have to fight back in some way because I know I have done nothing wrong to warrant this. But will my actions of trying to get answers only make it worse? At least tell me why, that does not seem like to much to ask.

For me, it is the impersonal feeling I have gotten from this situation from the start. There does not seem to be any human emotions, compassion or care how this affects not only the renters that were booked but myself as a business owner. I really feel there needs to be a better way of communicating this. For my renters who were scheduled, to just cancel them and force them to run around trying to find other accommodations seems very unfair.

Has anyone had this situation? What is my best course of action? Because at this point “Cedar” has made it clear they are not willing to discuss the matter further and are not interesting in explaining themselves in anyway.

Here is the letter I wrote in the feedback forum. I am also considering posting it on my social media as an open letter in the hopes someone will take notice.

I feel like this will be a waste of my time. But I also feel I have nothing to lose and maybe just maybe someone will listen and help.

I have been a host since Sept 2016. But I have cleaned and managed many other Airbnb’s throughout the city of Halifax. So, I understood how it all worked and truly enjoyed hosting. When I opened my rental, I spent almost $6000 to make sure everything was brand new and welcoming for my guests. I have just spent another $1000 last week on updating things throughout the house. I take pride in hosting and want good reviews and to make sure the guests have a good experience.  I assumed that is what makes a good host. I accomplished the good reviews mostly all 5 star (45) reviews to be exact.

On Monday out of the blue I got an email from “Cedar M” informing me that after a routine review you are no longer able to support my listing. I at first thought it was a mistake, I just became a super host the day before and to be honest even through it is nothing major, I was proud of the accomplishment and was looking forward to seeing how being a super host would affect my bookings.

I called in to find out what was going on. I was told they could tell me nothing and I had to email the person back, I did, and I waited. I called again and was told again there was no information and I had to wait. Over the next 3 days I called a couple of times and sent a bunch of emails. I posted on your help board and I was left with no options but to wait.

Tonight, I finally got an email back. It was colder than the first and seems more condescending then helpful. Maybe it is just a standard email template you use, I am not sure. But the basics were, there is nothing to be done, my listing is gone, and no information will be given to me as to why. I called in again in hopes to find some answers or at the very least speak to someone who knows something. First phone call I was hung up on/disconnected. I waited for a call back and then called in again when I did not get a call back. The lady was very nice, but basically told me there was nothing she can do and put in a ticket. I also sent “Cedar M” a very emotional email while trying to stay professional begging for information or a way to resolve this. I of course have not gotten a response and truthfully, I do not expect one because in the email it states that “you can no longer answer any questions about my account” maybe some salt in the wounds when the words “if anything changes we will contact you” so don’t call us and we will never call you is what I took from that.

I understand that this is your company. I understand you make whatever rules you wish, and the users/hosts/guests just must accept them. But saying it and doing it is harder than one would think. Having a thriving business that you love, enjoy and gives you a since of accomplishment and then having someone without notice with one click take it away with no explanation, no reasons and just cutting off any defense you might have seems very unfair.

I simply do not understand how that is a good business model? How is this practice fair to not only your hosts who invest to build there listing with your company and depend on the bookings to pay for their investment? But what about the clients who had booked my property? They spend all that time looking through ads to find the perfect vacation rental, and then boom you cancel without warning and force them to scramble around to find other accommodations? How is this fair to anyone? I have had some of the guests contact me and I have no answers for them. I have tried to explain the situation, but they are as upset as I am.

At the very least I deserve an understanding or answers as to why this has happened? What could I possible have done to warrant this? At the very least, speaking to me would or could have resolved a possible misunderstanding and avoiding the undo stress this has caused. I get that for “Cedar” this is a 9-5 when he/she goes home I am forgotten about. But for me this was my life, my investment and something I have worked hard to build. So, since Monday this is all I have been thinking about. To be brushed off without a thought and be left with nothing but more questions has made this situation harder then it needed to be. I am frustrated.

I have raved about your company and planned on opening 2 more rentals this year. As well I had a couple of friends who wanted me to help them start their own. I was proud to be part of your company and respected your service and how I have been treated up until this week. Now, I am left with an empty feeling and I feel very mistreated. Again at least if I had an understanding as to why, I might understand.

I am not stupid, I know this letter will fall on deaf ears. I am a no body to you in the bigger picture of things. But I am not alone, I have read countless stories where this same thing happed to so many people. Up until now, I just assumed they must have done something to warrant your decision. But now that it has happened to me, I realize that might not be the case.

But if this letter might help my case then it will be worth the effort to at least try. I just need answers. I need to understand, if I have legitimately done something that breaks your rules, then I respect your decision. But what if this is just a misunderstanding? Do I not deserve the opportunity to defend myself or explain any questions/concerns you might have?

Thank you for taking the time to read this

Kristen

Here is also the screen shots of the emails I have recived. airbnb.jpgairbnb1.jpg

The latest template email from Airbnb saying the same thing as beforeThe latest template email from Airbnb saying the same thing as before

Still no answers and still no help understanding what has happened. I have posted on social media, I have emailed & called and I get no where. I am frustated and do not know what I can do to resolve this situation

@Kristen101 Have you actually read the Terms of Service to see what you might have violated?  Airbnb will never tell you exactly what you did because they don't want to get into an argument.  They just make the decision and that's that. 

https://www.airbnb.com/terms

@Clare0 I have read it and reread it over and over again and have found nothing. I have attempted to reach out to them countless times and they just shoot me down with "you need to email" line which I never (Now) get an email back.

Emiel1
Level 10

Did you also think of external factors (complaining neighbours, tax issues, specific rules in your area announced by local government, safety issues (reported by a guest etc.. ) ?

@Emiel1 Yes I have looked into those issues as well. Trust me I have turned over anything I could think of to try and understand what could have happened. If Airbnb was more forthcoming and actual comunacated with their hosts, this situation would not be as bad as it is right now for me.

The last 4 guests I have had left wonderful reviews and never mentioned any issues.

My neighbours are all friends and have never had an issue with any of my guests.

The house is located on a private Cul de Sac with secuirty, so no issue there.

I checked with the local offices before opening the house & have called again last Friday to double check just in case, and that is not an issue.

Taxes are paid for by me and have nothing to do with Airbnb.

I know a couple of other hosts here in Halifax and I manage one of property (Not mine) and they have had no issues at all. If this was goverment or tax issues they would be affected as well.

I am left with no answers, no way of resolving and zero intrest from Airbnb to reach out of talk to me. They have made it very clear in their emails "They are under no oblagation to inform me of anything"

Emiel1
Level 10

@Kristen101 

You wrote: 

"I know a couple of other hosts here in Halifax and I manage one of property (Not mine) "

Were you a co-host of that property or did you list it under your account ?

@Emiel1

Neither. Thank god. I will not even log into the account just in case it affects there listing. It is pretty bad that I am that worried. But with what I have read and been through I am taking no chances.