My listing was suspended after reporting party to Airbnb

Faith147
Level 2
Toronto, Canada

My listing was suspended after reporting party to Airbnb

I'm a new host and last night we had a guest stay in our property and host an unauthorized party. We reported the incident to Airbnb (big mistake!) to create a paper trail. Now airbnb has suspended our listing "due to the ongoing safety investigation" and refuses to give us the contact information for the agent in charge of investigation. Apparently, we're only allowed to speak to them when they initiate the conversation and we've been told that we're going to be given updates every three days. 

I've made it clear to them that there is no safety issue, I just wanted the unauthorized guests off my property. It seems to me that as the host I'm being penalized for guests breaking house rules. 

Has anyone had this issue before and can give me insight into the process? They're being very secretive about this "investigation" and won't give me a timeline in terms of how long the investigation will take and thus the ongoing suspension. Is there anything we can do about it?

25 Replies 25

At no point did I say it was illegal to *bleep* on a host's property. Disrespectful? Definitely. Airbnb's documentation says that it is well within a hosts rights to install outdoor cameras as long as it's disclosed and it is. It's not like we took a camera to specifically film him *bleep* in my backyard. We reviewed our camera footage after confirming that there were more people in our home than they disclosed.

You may be missing the point here. What is my business is my property potentially being damaged. After reporting that to Airbnb somehow as the host I'm being penalized for a guest throwing a party in my home. 

It happened to me last Sunday. Did they contact you? What is the status of your listing now?

Co-host here: Our home is still under investigation, and it will take three days to even receive a response from the Airbnb case manager. Every day it's off the market, it is messing with our financial health. We spent thousands of dollars renovating and making our home beautiful for guests, and now we are forced to miss out on thousands of potential dollars because we followed the rules.

Airbnb is literally messing with our livelihoods by doing this.

@Helen744  How could it possibly be illegal to film someone on your own property after having diclosed to them that the cameras are there?  If people then go on to do dumb/illegal stuff that is recorded by the camera, that's on them.

@Mark116 and Faith 147 I understood the cameras were simply on the doorway to film arrivals for head counts nothing more. security is taken care of by 'due diligence'. Checking and having ids of all guests,  checking in with current guests and greeting guests and settling them in as well as communicating both before and during so that all is clear and above board. I can see no value whatsoever in spying on people as a security measure in most of these posts. Because you actually let them in in the first place .It does not matter how outraged you become peering thru the shruberries. This is not 'security' which should be established before those guests set foot any where near your property. H

@ Mark116 because Mark it is their privacy not yours. It is not your home currently although it is your property.The things that  you are seeing are private. All those cameras are  for you to know who comes and goes . Nothing else. I am not surprised that guests are outraged .There are other ways to find out who is at your house and this should be done before people arrive. Normal ordinairy families expect privacy . I have not heard one person tell me that they protect their guests privacy so your ' oh look what they dids ' are just a justification for using cameras in unintended for purpose, ways. H

@Helen744 Our home has two full bathrooms available. This man (who was not a pre-approved guest), decided to use our flower beds as a toilet

I'm sure you wouldn't appreciate it if some strange man came into your private back yard and urinated on your flower bed. It's just not respectful.

@Vivian1055 What the eye does not see , the heart does not grieve about. I am no more interested in what this person did than fly to the moon. H

Emilie
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Hey @Faith147

I just wanted to let you know I've dropped you a note on this issue's progression. You can read it by accessing your Messages on the Community Center - simply hover over your profile picture in the top right corner and click on Messages:

Screenshot 2022-04-27 at 10.07.05.png

Thanks, 

Emilie

-----

Merci de jeter un oeil aux Principes du Community Center/ Please follow the Community Guidelines

Kristen479
Level 2
Jacksonville, FL

There are many sad stories that I am hearing about all I can say from my experience is that I keep trying to talk to AirBnB until I finally get a person and when I finally do get a real person I have found that they do try to help, I’m not saying that AirBnB is perfect but I have not been banned and I have complained about guests, it’s always seems to work out if you’re open and transparent with AirBnB, I do not complain about them because they are helping me make money if you’re going to threaten to sue them I can understand why they don’t want to talk to you. I’m not saying that that is right believe me, it’s just that I think that they really want to keep their hosts and they’re doing their best, and maybe you just got the wrong representative that day so call back and get another one. The post that I have seen reflective hosts that really care about their properties and have just run into some unfortunate problems with guests. I understand that they are sad and I empathize if it happened to me I would be brokenhearted. I always worry about something bad happening to me but so far I have been lucky. I wish you well but keep trying to talk to AirBnB and work with them because they are the people that are enabling you to Make money, if you want to go to another platform that Is your right, but if you like Airbnb as I do try to get it to work. Of course I have not been through crisis and major damage, so all I can say is I’m sorry if that is happened to you.

@Faith147 how did you eventually solve this? I’m in the same predicament. The guest claimed that only 10 people would be at the premises. When we showed up we found over 50 people, smoking, drinking and even charging others to get into the “party”. They even had a drink menu with drinks FOR SALE at the house. We kicked them out then reported the guest to AirBnb. Unfortunately, this resulted in our listing being suspended and I don’t know what to do.