My refund for a ARbnb that I needed to cancel because of Covid

Marlene345
Level 2
Marion, IA

My refund for a ARbnb that I needed to cancel because of Covid

I was shocked to see that I was only getting back half of my refund for a cancellation because of covid.  Your cancellation policy said something different.  The wedding was cancelled and I feel like Im really getting the short end of this agreement.

Marlene**

**[Personal information removed in line with - Community Center Guidelines]

3 Replies 3
Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

Hello @Marlene345 

This is not Airbnb - this is a community for hosts and guests.

To see whether you are eligible for a penalty free cancellation under Covid - look at Airbnb’s extenuating circumstances policy for Covid on it’s Airbnb Help website.

if the area you were planning to travel to is under lock down and not permitting people to stay in short term accommodation because of Covid you should be able to get your money back. Is that the case? 

if not, why not try claiming on your travel insurance.

Emiel1
Level 10
Leeuwarden, The Netherlands

@Marlene345 

The special "extenuating circumstances cancellation policy regarding COVID-19" only gives full refund if the guest or the host is infected. BTW If the booking was made before 15 March more circumstances are considered. Otherwise the default cancellation policy will be applied, confirmed by you when the reservation was booked

@Marlene345  If you booked before March 15, and it wasn't physically possible to travel to your destination because of Covid-related restrictions or concerns, you may be eligible for a refund according to the policy that is available for all of us to read here: https://www.airbnb.com/help/article/2701/extenuating-circumstances-policy-and-the-coronavirus-covid1...

But nothing in the policy has ever stated that the cancellation of an event that the guest planned to attend is a Travel Issue that entitles the guest to an exemption from the host's cancellation policy.