My thoughts as a first time Host after many years as a guest

Answered!
Joel926
Level 2
Manassas, VA

My thoughts as a first time Host after many years as a guest

8 years ago I learned about Airbnb from my very young, adventurous daughter-in-law. At her urging I took the plunge into this very new home sharing concept. Over the years, I'd stayed in some really neat hotels all over the world and here in the states,  but now Airbnb offered the very different exciting idea of walking into someone's home...a complete stranger, to stay awhile and pretend I lived in the neighborhood. To me it seems like the most cool idea. To me too, the shared lodging idea offered by Airbnb, was a showcase of the host and their home....I as the traveler and guest sure didn't seem to be the thing that Airbnb was promoting.

Yes i was paying a fee just like a customer reserving a hotel room- but for me, what I was paying for was a very different lodging experience. Over the years as a  Airbnb traveler I've met people/hosts many of whom I still enjoy returning to stay with, often times spending countless hours catching up over coffee on their porch or kitchen table. I've been invited to join in dinner with host families on the spur of the moment, stayed in neat pool side rooms...even slept on the couch in someones apartment after watching late night TV with them sharing life stories...for 10 bucks! What a bargain! They left early in the morning each day for work on their roaring motor bike, as I slept cozy longer smelling the aroma of brewed coffee just feet from me. I spent my day coming and going doing my own thing in this oceanside room.

Seems after reading so many posts from fellow host now all over the world - there's a whole lot of headache and craziness awaiting me as I continue my journey as a host. Yikes!!!

But thanks to helpful information learned here from so many of you, in just my 1 month as a host, I've taken action during this time to help limit my openness to some jerk/weird/lousy travelers as much as possible. My current solo guest has been in my house now for a month. His space is completely separate from the main house. He's super quiet, comes and goes daily to and from work. He thanked me early on in a text for all being just perfect for his stay, and since then, not a lot of communication. He's a very successful host himself I can see. Kinda strange I think he does not say much, especially as a host himself, but I just figure...it is what it is.

Tomorrow he rolls into the 2nd month of his stay. He's already asked about staying 1 more month...I have not said yes or no yet. My instincts tell me (after reading post here) from now on I'll just limit stays to 1 month only.

But thats a bummer that I have think this way now. It sure seems like Airbnb has lost sight of the fresh/new initial idea/concept behind their unique lodging concept...and that is, its not the traveler that they are promoting as special or unique and new in their business at all - its the Host and their home space!

To me it's the Host and their home that is behind what is so cool and inviting and different about using Airbnb.

Theres way more travelers out there I feel...a dime a dozen I feel, but not nearly as many hosts. And it's the host I feel who should really be 1st and foremost in how Airbnb promotes and grows this business -- not the traveler.

Sad to say, but if I come to find out for myself, that Airbnb does not support and back me now as a host, I'll probably just end this Airbnb host experience early on and return to being a happy Airbnb traveler/guest. I sure hope thats not how this will turn out 

Good luck to everyone!

1 Best Answer
Michelle1851
Level 10
Littleton, CO

Your listing looks wonderful. My first guest was a month long also, very quiet and wanted no interaction, but since then I've met many wonderful people. I'm still new myself and very much learning but each guest has taught me a little something.

View Best Answer in original post

5 Replies 5
Michelle1851
Level 10
Littleton, CO

Your listing looks wonderful. My first guest was a month long also, very quiet and wanted no interaction, but since then I've met many wonderful people. I'm still new myself and very much learning but each guest has taught me a little something.

Donatella26
Level 10
Mondolfo, Italy

@Joel926 it seems ( and I hope)/like this "New Deal" in Air Bnb, started with Catherine and the new Council of Hosts, goes in the direction you hope...(you and the large part of hosts). 

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

hi @Joel926 

the vast majority of hosts and guests don't experience problems in using the platform.

on forums you tend to see a mix of new hosts looking for advice and those who are experiencing problems with the platform or with their guests, or guests with their hosts.

I started hosting five years ago, have had hundreds of guests and apart from my first ever guest have never had a problem guest ( apart from a few niggles) and have never had to make a claim against the host guarantee .

I have taken longer term guests but we don't have the same sort of tenancy laws that you have in the US. 

Ann72
Level 10
New York, NY

@Joel926  I have often thought that people dropping in to read this forum will be put off from Airbnb in every way possible.  But as @Helen3 says, the vast majority of us go along with very few bumps in the road.  Newspapers don't spend a lot of time and column inches reporting good news and people don't come here to write that everything is hunky dory.  (If they do, they get smacked hard by the regulars :))  Reading a lot here can turn you at least wary, at worst paranoid.  So put your rose-colored glasses back on (mine are always firmly in place) and enjoy your hosting.  I am sometimes nearby when I host and some will accept an invitation for a glass of wine or a chat and some won't.  Putting their needs first is a big part of hosting, which in itself is rewarding.  Enjoy the journey!

Joris41
Level 2
Southwest Ranches, FL

@Joel926 Thank you. I really enjoyed reading your piece. I have travelled and lived abroad quite a bit, now firm in one place, with an opportunity to host from my property. After five guests I can tell this will be an interesting ride. Though I do not have much opportunity to meet my guests during these Covid times I feel I get to know my guests a little through all the other communication, and surprisingly feel a bit sad when they go. All the work, preparation and care I put into welcoming people I do not know, but want to have a nice stay. Very interesting. Enjoying the ride! Waking up tomorrow at 5 to clean the bathroom and kitchen 🙂