NEW BLOCK FUNCTION is alive and working!

Momi0
Level 10
Honolulu, HI

NEW BLOCK FUNCTION is alive and working!

Attention Hosts,

There is a current thread going in another room about "blocking" guests.  Well I have good news.   Yesterday, I received a request from an actual Airbnb host that I didn't want to host.  He decides to send me less then desirable comments in return on the message thread. I chose to click on RED link under his name marked "REPORT".    This Box below (see photo) is what popped up next.  This is even better then what was mentioned in the previous thread.  

So for all those hosts (including Cindy last night) who have sent me private messages asking me how they can stop a host or a guests from booking, or sending harassing or negative messages, here is the answer.  Just click on REPORT, choose an option as to why, (which includes "Other", and then click on box. Yes, Block Now.   And you will never have to get another message from that person and they won't be able to book your place either.  Thank you Airbnb for listening to Host Voices and Feedback surveys like the ones I fill out all the time .  🙂

IMG_9348.JPG

A box pulls up and the photo attached is what I saw next...GREAT NEWS!IMG_9348.JPG

If you feel that me or another host have helped you, feel free to click on the "thumbs up" button at the end of any post. Thank you so much.

Aloha, Momi

Great way to contact Airbnb or via Twitter at AirbnbHelp / Facebook

41 Replies 41

@Anthea8  You are so welcome. My Aloha pleasure to help hosts as quickly as I can.  A bit confused on the comment you made regarding "not actually being hosts"...can you please elaborate bedcause I truly didn't understand that at all.  Someone asked if they could bring a rabbit to your home?  Man I can't wait to get that kind of message!  HAHAHA.  Hope you listings and House Rules say NO ANIMALS.

@Andrea9  that's correct....BLOCK would have been next.  I realized after posting the photo I should have posted a screen capture of how it appears the second you click on REPORT under the persons name in their profile.  Hosts are still getting confused about where to find this link but its not the same place as the "report this user" on the right hand side with their obnoxious message, that's a flag that you are I are aware is there to report THEIR message.  Two different things.

EVERYONE:  Please remember, this feature is definitely found on the mobile app...update your app.  And its most definitely found using a computer.  I recently blocked someone using my lap top on the ABB website, which is the photo I posted on the original POST announcing this feature.  And the feature worked great.  I no longer have to receive rude messages when I politely decline someone.  Sheeeeesh, seems some people think just because you list your home, you want every Tom, **bleep** and Harry to check in.  I do not.  Thank you ABB for hearing our voices. 

If you feel that me or another host have helped you, feel free to click on the "thumbs up" button at the end of any post. Thank you so much.

Aloha, Momi

Kelly149
Level 10
Austin, TX

@Momi0 @

Nope, this function isn't live for me. (I'm in the app -- can report, but not block)

@Kelly149 And everyone reading this 

its VERY important anyone using the ABB Mobile app check for updates! Airbnb is constantly updating their mobile app to fix things and add new features. Whatever phone or smartphone you are using, check your system for updates. You must be using the NEW updates to see this function. But I promise that its 

Aloha, Momi

@Momi0 I wish that was it. But I have the latest version. Not there. 

@Kelly149   That's so odd!  I had another host say the same thing, so I wrote to her on exactly how to find that RED link.  And she found it after reading my post. And she blocked the obnoxious guests who wanted to bring her pet rabbit with her.

Perhaps you can call ABB to ask them why you dont' see the same RED link that the rest of us see on the guests profile page.  The best number to reach them is 1-888-326-5753.  Please call.  I am so curious as to why you can't see this right now.  I am TRYING to help. 

Aloha, Momi

@Momi0 Well, this is strange & im not sure I can explain it well. But...

when I went to the Report button on the guest profile --- nothing but the 3 choices. BUT when I clicked on the ... at the top right corner of the message thread, Then under the Report button there was a fourth choice "other", from there the Block function appeared. It was different from your picture but it looks like it may have worked. 

????

Well... maybe not so much working. Seems like it's blocking the conversation but not necessarily the entire guest. 

So, if that is the case then the guest won't see the old thread from their prior reservation BUT if they still manage to find you in a search then they'll still be able to reach out. 

Sean119
Level 10
Blue Hill, ME

Just flagged a guest (on laptop) that texted me offering a stupid low rate for a "month stay".  So I clicked the reason for flagging as "trying to pay outside ABB" and the next screen asked if I also wanted to block, which I did.  Did not see guests message thread get archived automaticaly, but I did it myself.  

Maggie-and-Ric0
Level 2
Inverness, FL

OMG OMG Such great news. THANK YOU FOR SHARING THIS. We have a couple book 2 weeks with us and tonight is our last night and we just want to smile as they leave and then BLOCK them so we will never ever have them book with us. They have taken over our entire house except for our bedroom. We don't want trouble but we never ever want these cheap, boundary crossing, rule breaking, arrogant, rude guests able to stay here again. They have said several times how great it is here and how they would love to return. Well no doubt we have a lot of ameneties they apparently don't have at their house. AND THEY KEEP eating our food, drinking 15 cups of our fresh ground starbucks coffee a day and keeping us and other guests up late at night while watching tv in the livingroom (even though they have a 43" flat screen in their bedroom). We have had to unplug our surround sound so they stop the loud base from disturbing us and the other guests. One more night, One more night is all I keep saying to my husband today since they check out in the morning. And as soon as they do, I will be BLOCKING THESE RUDE CHEAP GUESTS. 2 weeks about pushed me over the edge with these people. We have adjusted many things on our settings and rules due to these people so we never have to experience this feeling of being taken advantage of again. SORRY NEEDED TO VENT. LOL! 

@Maggie-and-Ric0  So why exactly did you allow them to stay for 2 weeks? You never talked to them about their behavior? You never informed them that drinking 15 cups of your coffee a day wasn't listed in the amenities you provide? Or that keeping everyone else in the house awake late at night with loud media wasn't acceptable?

Sorry, but I would never allow someone who was so totally rude to finish out their booking. Being able to block them is great, but what's gonna happen the next time you host someone who makes you miserable in your own home?

Sarah, we did talk to them about the TV and bothering guests so late. And they would turn the tv down a tiny bit. So then I would take the remote and show them which volume was acceptable. But each night they did the same thing and I would remind them. They would act like they forgot and would say "Oh yeah, ok".  I think we limited guests to one week now verses 2 weeks, to avoid a prolonged situation.  As far as the 15 cups of coffee, there is nothing listed in our amenties as to how many cups, so we just took a financial hit on that couple. Out of 60+ guests now over our first 4 months of doing this have all been great. So we just chalked them up as a rare couple. Some eat way more than others. And then some eat barely anything for breakfast. This couple was just out of the norm. We tolerated them but it wasn't bad enough to kick out. Didn't want to deal with a possible major issue while other guests were here. We just apologized to the other guests and they seemed to understand. Never have we had to do that. Not sure how it would have gone down with Airbnb and the guests? Do you know Sarah? Have you ever asked someone to leave?

Kailey0
Level 3
Vancouver, Canada

Does anyone know what it looks like on the guests side? just out of curiousty?