NON PAYMENT

James2390
Level 1
New York, NY

NON PAYMENT

Hi,

NON payment by Airbnb.

I have been a member with Airbnb since 2009,  taking hundreds of bookings, with no major issues, however, I have come across a serious issue recently, an Airbnb guest had stayed in my apartment, and departed a couple of weeks ago, 

I have not received payment from Airbnb, after numerous emails back and forth, chasing information regarding the payment totaling over $8000.00 I had a response from Airbnb today

"I would like to inform that we are talking to the guest. Due to the pandemic he is unable to make the payment. I will keep you poasted as soon as possible."

Does this mean Airbnb have not taken payment from the guest prior to their stay ?

The whole reason to use Airbnb for a booking is to verify the guest is good for payment of stay?

Right now, Airbnb is not fit for purpose.

Anyone else have more information about NON Airbnb payouts ?

Thanks!

8 Replies 8
Mike-And-Jane0
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

@James2390 I do agree that Airbnb have 2 purposes - find guests and take payment. It is ridiculous that their terms and conditions absolve themselves from failure of the latter.

I understand that Airbnb could have issues with guests and hosts colluding to not pay and leaving Airbnb liable but surely their anti-fraud teams could deal with this issue which would be relatively rare.

Anne167
Level 2
Essaouira, Morocco

I am waiting the payment from Airbnb for a reservation dated 25 till 29th of Jully./ 408 €

there us no way to contact airbnb so what can I do ??

If you consider that Airbnb has the money at the moment of reservation ??

thank for answer  Anne

Anne167
Level 2
Essaouira, Morocco

Today, the 10th of September, I have not be paid for s stay  from the 25th till 29th of Jully

my question is : what can i do to keep in touch with airbnb.

best

Aimee29
Level 2
New York, NY

Hi James. I am having a similar problem. After months of zero bookings, I finally get one for 4 nights. They checked out a week ago and I still have not received the payout. I get a lot of useless messages from Airbnb but still no payout. Now I'm being told that the payout was sent. It was not. They ask for a convenient time to call me and then never call. Airbnb has never been supportive of the hosts but, now that they have obviously scaled down their staff, the support is non-existent. Is there an alternative to short term rental listing? I've put up with Airbnb but, if they're not going to pay me, what's the point?

I agree Aimee. A guest recently accidentally set a fire (!) in our house. 51,000 euros of damage and absolutely no reply from Airbnb after 2 weeks of calling most days. We've been superhosts for 4 years. Super disappointing. Apart from this crazy incident, we're also finding that payment has become super slow. A smaller but key issue!

Kris3047
Level 2
Boise, ID

I too am having a payment issue. I currently have a guest who arrived in January and is departing in April. March's payment has not come through. I had to contact Airbnb to find out what was going on, they said the problem was on her end, but provided no advice on how to deal with it or what they were going to do. Now,  another 4 days have gone by with no updates from Airbnb... currently waiting for a response to my latest contact for over an hour... And the guest is a traveling nurse, so her having the money should not be the issue. The guest  is not responding to phone or text messages. Does anyone have advice? Can I/should I threaten to block her door code? 

She seemed very nice when we met and she has generally taken 2-3 days to respond to my messages, but they were not urgent, but $$ is a whole other matter. 

Between that and another recent issue I had with a guest and Airbnb's response, I'm not feeling very warm and fuzzy about airbnb these days. 

Emiel1
Level 10
Leeuwarden, The Netherlands

@Kris3047 

Long term stays are payed in installments. In practice Airbnb will collect the first installment (otherwise reservation will not be confirmed). But when a guest fails to pay a subsequent installment, Airbnb can not force the guest to make payment. They will try to collect, but if failing you receive a message "sorry, we were unable to collect etc.... , and only option left is to cancel reservation. So you should contact the guest also about the payment issue and take action needed, if neccesary.

Laura557
Level 2
Barra de Potosí, Mexico

I am currently dealing with a nonpayment problem with Airbnb. In fact three reservations have not been paid. The reservations have been completed with excellent reviews. I was due to be paid for the first one one week ago today and the other two one week ago tomorrow.

Due to problems internal to airbnb's new identification verification process, they had paused my payouts. Note: I provided all information and am completely without fault in this mess. I was aware of the issue and did everything I could to resolve it prior to these reservations so there would be no problem with payout.

I checked with customer service also prior to the arrivals and was told there was no problem and the payouts would go out. The days for payouts arrived and no payouts. I contacted customer service on the same day. I was told there is no problem shown and the payouts should go out during that day. They did not.

Since then I have been struggling through Airbnb's labyrinthine half automated, non-responsive chat customer service with no result. I have also made contact by phone and had my 'case' escalated to what I was led to believe was a person authorized to release my payouts. They have already acknowledged there is no problem with my account and no impediment to payouts.

But then they give me almost nonsensical blah blah blah saying they have to follow a certain protocol and investigate each line of inquiry with each person who has worked on this... before they can release payment.  To this moment I don't understand what she said...and I am a clear-thinking, intelligent person. It was nonsensical. They will give me no estimate of how long this will take. I see no evidence of them working with any urgency. I have no recourse but to wait....to see if the gods of Airbnb deem me worthy of being paid, I suppose. I see no other explanation.

This is the worst customer service and most blatantly disinterested, fake courteous while doing nothing, customer service I have ever encountered. Essentially

Airbnb has stolen my payout and at present, I don't see any leverage for forcing them to pay. I am a small business. Not being paid has impact..especially after two years of covid.

What can be done in this situation? Please let me know if you learn anything. Is there some class action suit preparing for those of us being abused in this way?