NSW AUstralia STRA provisions effective from 30th July 2021

Answered!
Wendy117
Level 10
Bexley, Australia

NSW AUstralia STRA provisions effective from 30th July 2021

The NSW Government has announced that the new statewide Short Term Rental Accommodation (STRA) planning policy  will come into effect on 30 July 2021, providing industry participants time to familiarise themselves with the new policy before it takes effect. 

This includes registration of listings and minimum fire safety standards. I am assuming, like other countries, we will not be able to list on Airbnb without a registration number after this time.

I am not sure if the requirement for interconnected smoke alarms is only for non-hosted STRA or for hosted as well - have sent an enquiry.

I am hoping that this will not involve inspections from local Councils - which traditionally could open up a myriad of other cans of worms.  

It was only a matter of time.

Sorry, I did put a link to the announcement but Airbnb have removed it as invalid html

1 Best Answer
Anna10505
Level 3
New South Wales, Australia

Hi @Wendy117 sure it is in the Code of Conduct page 12 which hosts must also comply with 

Information for guests

A host must give guests the contact details of:

1. (a)  the host or the host’s authorised representative

2. (b)  an emergency electrical service provider

3. (c)  an emergency plumbing service provider

4. (d)  Australian emergency services.

https://www.fairtrading.nsw.gov.au/__data/assets/pdf_file/0012/925788/Code-of-Conduct-for-the-Short-...

In the emergency pack provided by short term rental solutions there is reference to contact the host and to only call plumber/electrician in the case of an emergency as well as local contact numbers for chemist after hours GP etc. I thought that was fair. We felt that providing more information was the better way to go as it is hard to predict every situation that may arise for guests during their stay. Hope that helps.

View Best Answer in original post

32 Replies 32
Laurelle3
Level 10
Huskisson, Australia

I agree with the can of worms @Wendy117  we should be preparing our properties for the new standards. I have already informed our neighbours about doing Airbnb in our cottage.

Because our cottage is new we have all the up to date building standards. Just waiting for information from the council or nsw state government as to let us know where to register.

I have started asking the names of all guest for registration and have had no refusals so far and I have put a shortened version of the rules on my booking page with Airbnb. I  have put a copy of the information by the state government in the manual left in the cottage. When showing the guest through the property I ask them to read the information whilst staying.

My one concern is leaving the name of emergency plumber and electrician contact number because we live on the premises and would like to be informed of a problem. I  think this issue is really for remote owners or let out their property through other agents.

If we as Airbnb hosts are doing the right thing we have nothing to worry about and I think it will mean those short term rental accommodation not are up to standard or taking short cuts will be the losers.

It will be interesting to see how many places will be withdrawn and it should leave those that are continuing with more bookings. We will all have to wait and see what the outcome will be.

Hi @Laurelle3 

i read your comment about getting every guest’s names. I did not read this requirement in the Code of Conduct. Can you tell me where you read that requirement?

thanks in advance 

lorraine

@Lorraine36 getting names of guest is not written in the Code of Conduct for NSW government. I have adopted this request of names since last February after they have booked as I am using instant booking and have no real communication untill they have booked. 

With our 2 x vaccination with travel in NSW since November  I have been asking for names and address of guests and telephone numbers. I also ask for ages of children. I tell them that we are both 2 x vaxed and ask their status and will ask to see their NSW certificate on arrival.

We live onsite the last 3 guests I meet at main residence with mask on, show our vaccinations certificates and ask to see theirs. They have had their masks on or go and get it and they show me their phones with green tick or certificates. 

I explain I am protecting myself and after the check say they don't have to wear the mask. I think most people booked in have and are used to a strict rules on masks and vax checks in Sydney and it is not an issue.

My thoughts are "this is where I live and it is my home/proprty and it is my rules". If they choose to cancel that is their choice. I have 24hrs cancellation policy. At the moment if they cancel it is not an issue, I can put the price up and know that it will be booked as Huskisson is in high demand.

Stephen1156
Level 10
Brogo, Australia

I did my registrations this morning for our two cottages. It's pretty straightforward. I have a little work to do to produce an Emergency Advice Sheet and Evacuation Diagrams, but the advice and requirements in the available fact sheets is clear.

I see this as just the cost of doing business. If it makes hosts provide a more professional experience, that's a good thing; I think of all the Airbnb properties I've stayed in where the host has done the absolute bare minimum (and often enough, not even that) and this set of requirements - the Code of Conduct and so on - will make them go away as those people have no interest in doing the right thing.

Matthew1318
Level 1
Sydenham, Australia

Does anyone have any updates on this?

Specifically for those who have a property that is a fulltime Air BnB? Im based in NSW Inner City of Sydney and it appears that I will have to either rent it out only 6 months (180 days) or say its hosted?

Hi Matthew 1318, thanks for discussion.

How do you say them hosted? Does it mean the other 180 days we can't put entire house?

Anna10505
Level 3

Yes not hard once you have met the fire safety standards, informed the neighbours and/or body corporate and purchased an emergency information book. You then can register on the NSW planning portal register. I found the Short Term Rental Solutions site to be a real help. Hope that helps

Helen765
Level 2
Sydney, Australia

Anna10505 Could you please advise where you purchased emergency information book.?

Anna10505
Level 3

Sure @Helen765  shorttermrentalsolutions provided great advice on all aspects of the short term rental compliance legislation including fire safety standards and evacuation diagrams and I was able to purchase an emergency information book that was customised to my property. I have to say it was very comprehensive, easy and well worth it! Look them up. All the best

Michelle2137
Level 4

I love how they say it's simple and then all of a sudden it's very complicated. I don't know what kind of dwelling I have, and it's very old, 1950's so I'm assuming it's not built with the correct building materials, components or structures and I'm sure I don't have fireproof walls., they're just chipboard, and brick. I didn't know homes these days were supposed to have them. Sounds like I'd have to completely strip and rebuild my whole house. Who would I contact to find out if it's up to code? A builder?

@Michelle2137  

Hi Michelle,

I m sorry, but where did you get your information from? The new fire standards aren’t really new they have just been applied to Short Term Rental Accommodation (STRA) I can’t recall reading anything that requires strip and rebuild. If you need a steer send me an email and I’ll try to assist.

Go Well,

Matt

Hi Matt,

Thank you for your help, sorry my laptop crashed right after i posted this. So getting back on track i have had the fire alarm installed, my electrician said the airbnb link went to the Queensland site. Anyway he said all i need is the alarm. He works in Port Stephens with the real estates now so Im pretty confident in his advice. 

I have decided to move away from doing airbnb as much as possible anyway, since so long in lockdown I have enjoyed my home too much lol. I will of course rent out as needed.

I will get the evac plans and emergency book done and hopefully it will be good from there. Cheers

Michele1371
Level 2
Gerringong, Australia

@Michelle2137 you can get the Emergency Advice Sheets for free at STRA Evacuation Plans. You just fill in the template. It is www.straevacplans.com

Hi Michelle,

I just looked at the this website. Are you going to get them to do the evacuation plan? They look good. Just wondering what you or others are doing in regard to the evacuation plan. I like the emergency advice sheets also.

Regards

Jenny