NSW AUstralia STRA provisions effective from 30th July 2021

Answered!
Wendy117
Level 10
Bexley, Australia

NSW AUstralia STRA provisions effective from 30th July 2021

The NSW Government has announced that the new statewide Short Term Rental Accommodation (STRA) planning policy  will come into effect on 30 July 2021, providing industry participants time to familiarise themselves with the new policy before it takes effect. 

This includes registration of listings and minimum fire safety standards. I am assuming, like other countries, we will not be able to list on Airbnb without a registration number after this time.

I am not sure if the requirement for interconnected smoke alarms is only for non-hosted STRA or for hosted as well - have sent an enquiry.

I am hoping that this will not involve inspections from local Councils - which traditionally could open up a myriad of other cans of worms.  

It was only a matter of time.

Sorry, I did put a link to the announcement but Airbnb have removed it as invalid html

1 Best Answer
Anna10505
Level 3
New South Wales, Australia

Hi @Wendy117 sure it is in the Code of Conduct page 12 which hosts must also comply with 

Information for guests

A host must give guests the contact details of:

1. (a)  the host or the host’s authorised representative

2. (b)  an emergency electrical service provider

3. (c)  an emergency plumbing service provider

4. (d)  Australian emergency services.

https://www.fairtrading.nsw.gov.au/__data/assets/pdf_file/0012/925788/Code-of-Conduct-for-the-Short-...

In the emergency pack provided by short term rental solutions there is reference to contact the host and to only call plumber/electrician in the case of an emergency as well as local contact numbers for chemist after hours GP etc. I thought that was fair. We felt that providing more information was the better way to go as it is hard to predict every situation that may arise for guests during their stay. Hope that helps.

View Best Answer in original post

32 Replies 32

Hi Jenny, yep I got them to do my plans and Emergency Advice Sheet. Great service and price. Some companies were charging so much! Good luck

Thankyou very much Michele. Look great!

Hi People,

Thank Michele for adding the link. Just thought I would let people know of a better (FREE) option. Use the house manual generator at the following:

FIREBASE - Short Term Rental - https://www.firebase.com.au/firebase-stra/stra.php

Worked well for me. I would like to know if others found this ok

Cheers

Anna10505
Level 3

Yes agree with Matt I don't think you have strip and rebuild it is mainly around interconnected smoke alarms, evacuation diagrams and an emergency information book. We had a look at the free emergency advice sheets but didn't think they were as comprehensive as we needed we wanted to provide our international and interstate guests with some beach safety information, bites and stings and bushwalking safety all of which is provided in the short term rental solutions emergency information book. Also you do need to provide emergency contact details for plumbers and electricians so this is included as well as location of first aid kit, torch, candles etc that guests less familiar with the property may struggle to find. Seemed to tick all the boxes www.shorttermrentalsolutions.com.au/emergency-information-booklet

@Anna10505   I notice you have said that it is necessary to provide plumber and electrician contacts.  I cannot see that anywhere in the STR  Emergency Sheet requirements.  Although we must provide this information to long term tenants with leases, I am very reluctant to provide to short term when I myself live on the property.   I can just imagine tradesmen being called for silly things.  Can you tell me where you read this requirement please?

Anna10505
Level 3

Hi @Wendy117 sure it is in the Code of Conduct page 12 which hosts must also comply with 

Information for guests

A host must give guests the contact details of:

1. (a)  the host or the host’s authorised representative

2. (b)  an emergency electrical service provider

3. (c)  an emergency plumbing service provider

4. (d)  Australian emergency services.

https://www.fairtrading.nsw.gov.au/__data/assets/pdf_file/0012/925788/Code-of-Conduct-for-the-Short-...

In the emergency pack provided by short term rental solutions there is reference to contact the host and to only call plumber/electrician in the case of an emergency as well as local contact numbers for chemist after hours GP etc. I thought that was fair. We felt that providing more information was the better way to go as it is hard to predict every situation that may arise for guests during their stay. Hope that helps.

@Anna10505 @Laurelle3  Thank you for that.  As I mentioned, I am nervous about guests ringing tradesmen for silly things, so I copied the section from the NSW Fair Trading standard lease and just changed landlord and tenant for host and guest and will print that on the back of the emergency sheet I have prepared.  I am still nervous as with STR for so long I have had so many guests, either panicked or entitled or  minimal english that do strange things even though I am on the premises - but what can you do.  For the same reason I decided to do my own emergency information sheet as there are so many things like bushfire, flood and tsunami  on the generic templates that are just not applicable to a hosted inner-city standalone dwelling, and there is no need to panic international guests.20210917_071756.jpgemergency.jpg

@Wendy117 there has been a lot of queries about emergency plumber and electrician on our local area FB page. The subject of contacting a nominated maintence person was discussed which we have adopted with phone number except in an extreme emergency. The maintence person is my husband who lives onsite in the main residence. We show our guests through the cottage and they know that we are in close contact.

I do like what you have written about heatwave and will add it to my information. The outcome of this NSW regulations is that we all have to adapt these rules to protect our guests and our property.

Thanks

I know this post is a little old but I found a website that you can create your NSW STRA emergency booklet. It actually creates a pretty cool house manual that is specific to your house. It is already prefilled with normal AirBNB house manual stuff and you will have to modify it to suit your building but easier than writing from scratch. 

www.firebase.com.au/firebase-stra/stra.php

Belinda288
Level 1
Cammeray, Australia

Hi - sorry if I've missed this but is there a base Emergency Information guest pack that we can use and update as relevant to our area please - keen to do it properly and not recreate the wheel.

Hi Anna,

I registered my Hornsby property on the 8th October. I keep getting emails saying that I need to register... how do I let Airbnb know that I've done my registration and have a PID number? Judy

Steven1110
Level 2
Lower Mangrove, Australia

@Judy812. What was involved in registering with Hornsby? Looking at the STRA registry they ask "Do you have a development approval from your council for STRA at this property".

So the STA is much more than just meeting fire safety requirements and a code of conduct. It changes renting you private property (bedroom etc) into having a DA for it. DAs are usually difficult to get, require a lot of work and expense and take months to be processed.

Or is there a "simpler" DA or another process which is not the normal DA?

Thanks

Steven

Hi Steven,

I thought that DA stands for Development Approval. or Application.. .. I don't think we need one unless you are changing the structure of your building. Anyway, I took a while to register... made an emergency plan... used ideas from Hornsby Shire Emergency plans etc like bushfires etc... followed instructions on Department of Planning and did an evacuation plan to hang in each bedroom.... and near kitchen etc I saw some samples later on this conversation forum ... someone here recommended a STRA management group that does it for $160... my understanding is that it is not due until March next year but we have to register before November 1. Please let me know how you go, Judy

Steven1110
Level 2
Lower Mangrove, Australia

Hi Judy,  thanks for your response. You are correct DA is for development application. I went back to register and where previously I thought the page stopped when I said I did not have DA approval it lets me continue to completion. That they ask if you have DA approval for an Air BnB may be a precursor of things to come.  Cheers  Steven