Nationwide uk registration

Sandra957
Level 3
Birmingham, United Kingdom

Nationwide uk registration

What do other hosts think about this Nationwide uk registration system that Airbnb have emailed me about

I can see for’s but also against ‘s  

9 Replies 9
Mike-And-Jane0
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

@Sandra957 Have you been given details or just been invited to a webinar on it?

@Mike-And-Jane0  Just the webinar, but personally sounds like a lot of hoops to jump through, can’t imagine it could be easy :frowning_face:

Mike-And-Jane0
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

@Sandra957 Given you appear to have zero knowledge of the proposals I would love to hear your pros and cons! Whilst I will often be the first to criticise Airbnb I do think we should give them the benefit of the doubt as to why they are considering (aka doing) whatever it is. If it protects guests from dodgy hosts then all the better for the good hosts.

An example of giving the benefit of the doubt was when the Host Advisory Board was established. @Sarah977 was immediately sceptical if memory serves me correctly - But just look at what they have achieved in the last 7 or 8 months......

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

Who's introducing this 'uk wide registration system '  @Sandra957 

what does it entail?

what do you see as the pro's and con's ? 

Sandra957
Level 3

@Helen3 @Mike-And-Jane0 

This is part of the email I was sent yesterday :-

“Sandra,

As you may have heard in the news earlier this week, we are calling for the government to introduce a nationwide, simple and modern registration system for the short-term letting sector.

Our proposal follows a UK-wide consultation process with policymakers, communities and local Hosts like you. We would like to invite you to hear first-hand from Airbnb representatives about how we think a registration system can address local challenges authorities face, but also how it can benefit you as a Host.”

I already feel we should jump through hoops to make my place acceptable for certain “needs”

Popular Amenities - I don’t take pets,have air con or hair dryer

Flexible Stays-I don’t have self check in, instant book or flexible cancellation

Family Travel -I don’t take pets, children or infants

Remote Workspace -I don’t have self check in, instant book or air con

i am classed as ok for Longer Stays and Advance Bookings

i have reasons for not having the above - pets - garden not enclosed , air con -I live in Birmingham only a few days a year when air con would be nice,

self check in - I live here never found it a problem, children or infants - bedroom doesn’t have a door,opens directly onto staircase so do not consider it safe for younger ones

ive stopped doing instant book when this virus hit, and flexible cancellation is my choice

i just feel that we could be asked to do more when if you look at my reviews guests seem to like my way of hosting why alter it

You say better hosts but why not better guests, I’ve had a couple I wish I  hadn’t had 

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

Thanks for sharing @Sandra957 

It seems Airbnb has only invited a limited amount of UK hosts to this event/shared information with us about the proposed register.

Sorry I wasn't quite sure how your comments about air conditions, pets, children etc relates to having a national register for STR owners?

Sandra957
Level 3

@Helen3  I suppose it’s that I think they ask or insist on things although they do not know individuals situations or properties and just wonder if this is another list of things we will have to do to continue with them. I should imagine you will get the same email I have only just received it or perhaps it’s because I have a different type of property, time will tell .

Fiona256
Level 10
Scotland, United Kingdom

In Scotland we are faced with a strict and onerous licensing / registration process, the details of which are still being decided. This has been deemed necessary becaue of the proliferation of Airbnbs in cities like Edinburgh and the perceived threat to affordable housing and long-term lets for local residents.

It seems only fair that it should also happen in the rest of the UK.

Airbnb is obviously responding to the criticism in an attempt to show integrity, rather than being philanthropic in any way.

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

I agree Airbnb is suggesting a much less onerous process in order to head off government's introducing stricter ones. 

I don't think they will succeed as their suggestions are very generic but hoping there will be a meeting in the middle that works for us all.