Natural disaster :: extenuating circumstances cancellation policy

Janelle19
Level 1
Minneapolis, MN

Natural disaster :: extenuating circumstances cancellation policy

Hi, has anyone had any experience with the extenuating circumstances cancellation policy? We have a trip scheduled in Sonoma this weekend, but the wildfires are still going strong. The host says his property is still fine for now (and we were so happy to hear that) but he is claiming that the rest of our trip would be unaffected. However, wineries we were planning on visiting are right in the fire's path. Roads in the area are blocked by fire. And I have pretty serious asthma that would get real bad real quick if I had to breathe that air.

If the fires are even in control by the time we leave in 4 days, I imagine the devastation will be massive and no one will be worrying about tourists (and rightly so). I feel terrible for everyone who has lost a home or loved ones. And I have a feeling our host is going to refuse to refund the trip. What are my options?

2 Replies 2
David126
Level 10
Como, CO

Call ABB and ask that they cancel with a full refund.

David
Emily140
Level 10
St Helena, CA

Wow, the idea that "no one would be worrying about tourists" in an area that is 100% driven by hospitality for tourists, and we love it, is an odd statement.  Just a host perspective.  I am in Napa Valley (which is much less affected by the fires than Sonoma) and I allowed a reservation for my guesthouse cabin THIS week to postpone to a different date in the future, as I didn't have power for about 48 hours Sunday night to Tuesday afternoon, but I see the tide turning with containment beginning on those ridgeline fires, and certainly wouldn't want to give up my income next week, when I know most restaurants and wineries are working hard to attend to their harvest and provide service to visitors, that's what we do here!

I saw a couple on the local news, walking in town in Napa, they were interviewed and asked why they still took their trip.  They were from Minnesota, they said they love Napa and thought the best thing they could do was show up and spend some money eating and drinking 🙂  Gotta love that.