Need Better Cancellation Penalty Fee for Guests

Robert913
Level 2
Dallas, TX

Need Better Cancellation Penalty Fee for Guests

The moderate cancellation penalty for guests is too lenient and the strict one is too strict.  I don't want to use the strict one as it penalizes a person after 48 hours even if the reservation is months away. As a traveler booking in advance,  I stay away from strick penalty properties.  However, as a host, I find the moderate penalty not good enough.  I get a lot of reservations months in advance and I don't think I could rent my place if someone canceled 6 days before the reservation.   My suggestion would be to allow the hosts to set the number of days in the moderate cancellation.  I would be happy with a free cancellation upt to 14 days in advance.  Home Away cancellation penalties are better.

5 Replies 5
Elle36
Level 2
United States

I totally agree - it wouldnt be that hard to create software that allows a host to customize their listing.

I'd like to be able to restrict booking for a big event in town. If it is a 5 day event, I want a guest for all 5 days. I had a guest reserve for 4 days then cancel to 2 days. Then they wanted to cancel the extra guest.

I'll check out that other site. Thanks

Andreea30
Level 2
Bucharest, Romania
Robert913
Level 2
Dallas, TX

I am glad to see there is a way to see if a guest has canceled previously.  We are not multi-million dollar hotel systems.  The only problem with that is that we use instant booking and I would then get dinged for canceling someone who has a cancellation history.  The cards are not stacked in our favor.

When someone cancels at the last minute we are often impacted financially and may experience a loss for the month with mortgage and HOA fees.

Robert,

Why is no one else complaining about this?  I agree that the "Strick" is too strick but the "Moderate"  leaves the Host high and dry with little opportunity to rebook.  I'm not sure how having the guest choose (seems like they would pick the most advantagous to them and least to the host) would work.  Airbnb should change the "moderate" to 7 to 10 days.  I bet they would have a lot fewer hosts pick the "Strict" if they had a better chance of rebooking.

After my first 6 months of no cancellations - I had two - for the same week - and the last one cancelled 1 hour before the 5 day period started.  I've now lost 1/4 of my monthly income as Host.

Is there a process to petition Airbnb to change their policy or add another option between "moderate" and "strick"?

Marcia

I totally agree.  I would like a moderate to include no cancellations 2 weeks out. People are multiple booking.