Need advice - host is canceling reservation less than 1 week out and a replacement will cost more.

Steve618
Level 2
San Jose, CA

Need advice - host is canceling reservation less than 1 week out and a replacement will cost more.

I have a place reserved for this coming weekend. I made the reservation months ago. I got a message about 4 days ago letting me know that the reservation is in danger because a kitchen remodel is going over the original time allotted. The owner messaged me and let me know of the issue and offered a full refund. I replied that I am recently out of a job and that we were counting on using the kitchen to prepare meals rather than go out to eat while on our trip. I let them know that I am open to suggestions and left it at that.

I have not heard back at all. I am wondering if they will reply.

If I understand the AirBNB rules correctly, I should NOT cancel the reservation? If I do, then the owner has all the cards and I may not get all my money back? I cannot afford that, and I cannot afford not to go on this trip as airfare and tickets are purchased along with the AirBNB.

I found another place nearby that is available, but it costs more. Can I make the original reservation owner pay the difference since this issue was not caused by me and the notice is so tight?

I went to AirBNB "Help", and it appears to be useless aside form a bunch of FAQs. No way to contact anyone to fix this.

What can I do? Our trip is looming on the horizon.

Thanks

1 Reply 1
Letti0
Level 10
Atascosa, TX

@Steve618  Call AirBnB and explain to them what's happening. You can ask AirBnB to give a 10% travel credit, but you will not get more. This would be extenuating circumstances on the hosts part. She needs to cancel. AirBnB will contact her. 

AirBnB number:

United States and Canada

+1-415-800-5959
+1-855-424-7262 (toll-free)