Need help on how to review guest whose friend caused damage

Answered!
Julie3684
Level 3
Washougal, WA

Need help on how to review guest whose friend caused damage

I recently hosted two couples and their two small children (6 people total). Great communication during the stay (he had lots of questions!) and they left the place in great shape except two large blistered burn marks from a hot coffee pot on the kitchen counter.  I wasn't told about the burn and when I told him about it he checked with his friends and told me they were responsible and would cover damages. We just opened 10 months ago and the home had just been completely remodeled.  The existing countertops were in great shape so we just added a nice tile backsplash. I am beyond disappointed! The damage cannot be fixed.  Entire countertop must be replaced which will affect the tile backsplash, cost of plumbing sink, etc. not to mention closing our doors for a few days for repairs.   Estimate for all is around $2000. We requested they pay only half of the actual countertop estimate which came to $664.  The damage was not done by the guest who booked our home but his friend's wife.  The friend offered to pay maximum $300 and said I should have stone countertops because that's what they are used to so it's basically my fault. Ha!  I tried to counter asking for $500, but no luck.  Disappointed but better than nothing? 

How do I review booking guest if his friend was the one who did the damage?  

Any advice would be appreciated. Thank you!!

Julie

1 Best Answer

Bill the original guest in the resolution center for the whole amount before a new guest checks in. If another guest has already arrived, then bill them any way but point to the conversations in the messaging area if Airbnb has any questions (it's proof the damage occurred and the guest admitted it.)

Be constructive and leave the anger out of it (because so many people are yelling at Airbnb right now). But insist they fix the damage and the guest should be banned.

Booking guests are responsible for all damages. It's his job to collect from his friends. Don't accept anything less than at least the cost of the replacement countertop plus plumbing disconnect/reconnect.

NO GUEST has the right to do damage then suggest you have better countertops because they are used to something else. We're all up in arms about Airbnb establishing an expectation that guests can ruin our homes or do what they like for a few nights rental fee.

My suggestion - Upload the entire estimate. If the guest won't pay - or only pays part of it - then Airbnb will get involved. Demand the host guarantee, but you probably won't have to if you have legit estimates and photos uploaded.

As for the guest - 3 stars if the rest of the place was left in good condition. Write that the guest was responsive and the home was neat at check-out. However , one of their visitors left damage that was not reported and is not repairable. Unable to host them again.

Then do a thumbs down on the question "Would you rent to this guest again" and they won't be able to book you in the future.

View Best Answer in original post

27 Replies 27

Bill the original guest in the resolution center for the whole amount before a new guest checks in. If another guest has already arrived, then bill them any way but point to the conversations in the messaging area if Airbnb has any questions (it's proof the damage occurred and the guest admitted it.)

Be constructive and leave the anger out of it (because so many people are yelling at Airbnb right now). But insist they fix the damage and the guest should be banned.

Booking guests are responsible for all damages. It's his job to collect from his friends. Don't accept anything less than at least the cost of the replacement countertop plus plumbing disconnect/reconnect.

NO GUEST has the right to do damage then suggest you have better countertops because they are used to something else. We're all up in arms about Airbnb establishing an expectation that guests can ruin our homes or do what they like for a few nights rental fee.

My suggestion - Upload the entire estimate. If the guest won't pay - or only pays part of it - then Airbnb will get involved. Demand the host guarantee, but you probably won't have to if you have legit estimates and photos uploaded.

As for the guest - 3 stars if the rest of the place was left in good condition. Write that the guest was responsive and the home was neat at check-out. However , one of their visitors left damage that was not reported and is not repairable. Unable to host them again.

Then do a thumbs down on the question "Would you rent to this guest again" and they won't be able to book you in the future.

I tried that three times so far did not work Airbnb has no regard for host only guests there our host standards but no guest standards Airbnb sucks I am looking into different Avenues for hosting

Julie3684
Level 3
Washougal, WA

Thank you so much for responding!!  I was reading other messages and was really discouraged because no one was getting reimbursement for similar issues and no backing from airbnb. I thought maybe I should feel lucky to get the $300, but I don't feel lucky at all.

I started drafting a review last night.  Sounds like I'm going in the right direction with that anyway. The guest paid the $300. I never yelled- not my style.  Very pleasant conversation with guest until he put his friend on the message thread which was him being a jerk telling me I should have more insurance or better countertops.  Even after he paid he sent a message giving me his "2 cents" advising me he still thinks I should invest in quality stone countertops so it's not an issue in the future.  Ha! If only his 2 cents or $300 would pay for any kind of countertop! No reasoning with that kind of person. 

I'm not sure how the stars work for guest. Is it an average of cleanliness, communication, and following rules?  In my draft I gave him cleanliness 3, communication 5, rules 1   The place was clean but does damage go under cleanliness or rules?   

@Julie3684  Unfortunately, damage doesn't fall under any of those. A "Would not host this guest again" is what you would check.

The bummer here is that it seems it isn't the guest who will get the review who's the jerk, it is his friend. I guess it's a wake up call for this guest to be choosier about the company he keeps and the "friends" he takes along on vacation who have the potential to destroy his reputation as a good guest.

@Sarah977 So I would give 5 stars for everything and then choose "would not host again"? That's where I'm confused.  If there was no damage I would have given 5 stars. I don't think he deserves 5 stars. 

I do explain in the written review that it isn't him but his friend. But other hosts should be warned.  I would not read his review if he had all 5 star reviews.  

My justification?:

a burn mark is like permanent dirt? lol...so cleanliness

didn't take care of the place ...so rules

There's got to be a way to justify less than 5 star review, right?

Branka-and-Silvia0
Level 10
Zagreb, Croatia

@Julie3684  according to your guest, you should invest in an Alcatraz-looking unit, just steel, and concrete,  jerk proof 🙂

@Branka-and-Silvia0  Hahaha! Thank you for the laugh! Yes, jerk-proof! Although I'm sure he expects ALL the amenities as well.  😜

Lisa723
Level 10
Quilcene, WA

@Julie3684 IMO, if you are going to run an STR you need countertops that can't be damaged by a hot coffeepot. It's pretty normal to place a coffeepot on the kitchen counter and it sounds like the damage was accidental.  I think your guest's friend has a valid point.

@Lisa723   What is STR? (tried to google, no luck)

The coffee pot is located in a separate coffee bar area with a marble counter.  They moved the coffee pot across the kitchen where 5 trivets were within reach.  

@Julie3684STR = short term rental.

Where the coffeepot started out doesn't change my opinion about the countertops. My experience has led me to the belief that everything in a rental property needs to be as guest-proof as possible; anything less is a set-up for disappointment, conflict, and financial loss.

If it requires a trivet (or a coaster, etc.) don't put it in a rental.

Just my opinion.

@Lisa723  Julie can put jerk proof countertop... and then some other jerk will burn the table. Or she should buy a granite table as well? 

I rent a few long-term apartments and 2 STRs, no one burned the countertop ever (knock on wood) but I always leave a few cork bases on the counter and the table to put hot pots on them

@Julie3684be creative and just mask the burned spots somehow. Put some sticker or ceramic tile or foil on it if you can.  I would draw an arrow pointing on the burn mark and write the name of the guest who burned it and the date when he was there 😄

@Branka-and-Silvia0 a pot containing water (or coffee) can't get much over H2O boiling temperature, which is really not that hot (for a pot). A counter that can't withstand a pot of boiling water is doomed in a rental, IMO-- as it would be in my own kitchen, for sure.

And, yes, people will burn the table too. We furnished ours with tables that won't break our hearts when we find the inevitable burn marks. They can be covered with tablecloths and at some point refinished. And I've never gone after a guest for accidentally damaging counters or tables.

@Lisa723  I appreciate your opinion. I'm always open to ideas and looking for ways to improve.  What kind of countertop do you have in your rentals? The Leland lake rental looks like laminate - is it a heat resistant kind or is the picture just deceiving and it's some kind of stone? 

@Lisa723 Gorgeous properties, btw 😍