Need to Cancel. How to contact Abnb about Extenuating Circumstances. Any thought on situation?

Dee61
Level 2
Pacific Grove, CA

Need to Cancel. How to contact Abnb about Extenuating Circumstances. Any thought on situation?

I'm a new host with 10 stays and reviews and super excited as I'm being evaluated as a superhost!!

My mom came to me recently to share that while she isn't supposed to know, I have an aunt dying of cancer.  I booked a flight with my family to go see her when school is out, in two months.

It recently came to my attention that our local laws, prohibit me from renting through Abnb if we are not present.  The reservation is for two nights in two months. 

I contacted the woman and asked her to cancel the reservation and even found an equivalent and less expensive place to stay.  To make a long story short, even though I offered to refund her fees BEFORE her cancelation and explained the law (not the dying part as that felt too personal), she's basically said too bad so sad, I need to cancel, I can't expect her to take the risk (none the way I outlined doing). I explained that with two months notice and finding her a place to stay, and even offered passes for her to pick up under our front porch, and gave her our home number, I thought it was a little different from the generic cancelations and last minute cancelations and didn't want to be penalized.

Reading the extenuating circumstances, it would be a no-brainer if my aunt dies. But this trip to try and see her before, even with two months notice does not seem to be excusable.

So the question is do I do the right thing for her and cancel and face the ramifications of having canceled on a guest, even with two months notice. Or do I wait and see if my aunt dies so the extenuating circumstances clause will be ok?  I almost have nothing to lose for canceling at the last minute the way I read it.

Thoughts or insights?  Thank you so much!!

7 Replies 7
Gerry-And-Rashid0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Dee61

Hi Dee - first of all, I think you may be reading your local regulations incorrectly. I believe, but worth checking, that you can only rent for short periods while you are resident - that does not mean that you can't take a trip. It also does not mean that you have to be onsite 100% of the time while your guest is there. It is your home, and you are not renting out your entire home.

I can understand why the guest does not want to cancel or accept your offer to pick her up, take her somewhere else etc...and she is within her rights to do that.

It is down to you to contact AirBnB and explain the situation, hope it is covered under extenuating circumstances, and get them to find her somewhere else - IF you do not want her to be there when you are not around.

Good luck and hope you get it sorted with AirBnB's help

Thank you! Yes I double checked, I do have to be here.  Thank you so much for the feedback!

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

Hi @Dee61

I am so sorry your aunt is ill. However I can understand why your guest is reluctant to cancel. I would be too in this situation.

Do you not have any family or friends that could stay at your place for a couple of days - particularly as you have a couple of months to organise this.

Or could you not  change your flights and arrange to fly out at different period during the school holidays, so you are not away at exactly the same time that you have guests for a couple of nights.

Good luck

Thank you:-)

Joanna85
Level 10
Las Vegas, NV

I might send Airbnb a message on twitter.  Tell them about your aunt and ask if they will allow you to cancel on her pentalty free.  Even if they blocked those dates on you...seems you won't be there anyway so it won't matter...as long as it doesn't penalize you with money....they might agree with you since it is two months away. Doesn't hurt to ask for their help...worst thing thing they can do is say they won't let you do it without a penalty and then you can at least say you tried to do what you could before you cancel on her.

Family is really important..you can recover from Airbnb if they penalize you with a cancellation but you shouldn't not see your aunt in her final days to avoid a penalty.  

Just my two cents.  My experience with asking Airbnb questions has been great...they are super helpful or give you advice.  You don't have to make a decision...just contact them and ask them what they recommend you do.  Two months....not like it's tomorrow...so there is plenty of time for the guest to make other arrangement.  I think people want to hang on to a reservation because they can't find a place cheaper..or they need your location...or whatever else--not that the guest is trying to be difficult so you may have to be the one to make the move.

Mona29
Level 2
San Jose, CA

Hi,

I have a booking in coming next Saturday for about 90 days. But I have a family problem which needs me to travel out of USA 

for 3 months. I also came to know that I cnnot rent to AirBnb in my absence.

I am helpless and want to opt out for atleast 4 months or till I decide to re-atart hosting.

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

Hi @Mona29

Sorry to hear you are having family issues.

Get on the phone to Airbnb and see if you might be able to cancel under their host extenuating circumstances - see Airbnb Help Centre - covers property damage, close family death or serious illness etc.

Airbnb will also need to try and find alternative long term accommodation for your guest who are coming very shortly, so please give them as much notice as possible.

Are you sure there isn't a friend or family member locally who could manage the property while you are away (that would be an alternative to consider).

Once this has been sorted put your listing on Snooze - see airbnb help centre until you are back. Do make sure you don't have Instant Book turned on in the meantime.

Good luck