Negative Review After Reporting Guest

Lindsey260
Level 2
Austin, TX

Negative Review After Reporting Guest

So I reported a guest for breaking an ABNB policy on firearms. I was contacted, shared the story, and as far as I know the guest was contacted as well. I was told by ABNB that a resolution was reached and I pretty much just left it at that (my mistake).  I 100% assumed that ABNB would block him and remove his ability to use the platform. This is someone who brought a firearm onto the property and didn't inform us as the ABNB policy states, then proceeded to fire it until my 85 year old neighbor asked him to stop. We left him a pretty bad and honest review as we FIRMLY believe all hosts should leave honest reviews. 

ABNB didn't block him, as his profile is still active AND they allowed him to leave a review on the property. His review is the ONLY below 5 star review we have and his review says "there isn't enough privacy from neighbors." I publicly replied to his review and explained that considering his need to fire a non approved firearm at the house is why he needed privacy in hopes other guests see this and know why his review was bad. 

Why didn't ABNB block him for breaking a policy, why was he allowed to leave a review? And what can I do now? 

7 Replies 7
Alexandra316
Level 10
Lincoln, Canada

@Lindsey260 I would follow up with Airbnb on social media. If you haven't already, I would also flag the guest profile using the flag icon. 

I see that they have stayed elsewhere since you hosted them. It looks like it was with a large property manager who manages many places and who presumably doesn't pay attention to reviews. 

@Alexandra316 thanks for the advice. I flagged him when the issues occurred and just tired to again. I just hope other hosts see our review and heed the warnings. 

Dale711
Level 10
Paris, France

@Lindsey260 

I am sorry to hear your unpleasant experience with your guest and  understand you feelings frustrated.

The guest violated Airbnb policy and till able to write a review.

It is out of your hand! 

Of course, the guest will left a negative, untrue or a revenge review for the host.

Letting you know that review are the backbone of Airbnb's community and in order to maintain that structure. Airbnb have guidelines in place that ensure all reviews are fair, honest and relevant to the  travel and experience. Airbnb's default position is not to delete, censor, or edit reviews.

If you would like to dispute a review, do report a review that you believe goes against the policy.

With that being said, in rare cases Airbnb may remove a review only if it violates the Airbnb review guidelines.

You had post a public response to the reviews that guest leave for you, but you can't remove the reviews.Reviews are only removed if they violate the Review Policy. 

Post your concern in the Twister or other social media for impact attention.  
Do red flag the guest, block the guest and report the incident again.
Acknowledge the incident to the Airbnb for further investigation to the guest profile. 

You may click the link below for more information:
https://www.airbnb.com/help/article/13

Airbnb Review Policy 
https://www.airbnb.com/help/article/2673

Airbnb Review Content 
https://www.airbnb.com/help/article/546

I do hope the HAB members will keep looking  into the lack of the Airbnb review system.

Happy Hosting 

@Dale711 thanks for the links and helpful info, I'm going to try some of the tips you suggested. 

@Lindsey260  As you now see, it's never safe to assume that Airbnb will ban a user based on a single report, although some categories of issue will be more consequential than others. By all appearances, the guest had a successful stay at another home after yours; future hosts will have to weigh your detailed account against the property manager's superficial review and decide for themselves whether this guest will be welcome.

Given that the issue is several months in the past, I doubt there is any good reason to pursue it further. I would personally decline this guest based on your honest review, but if Airbnb is keen to let him off with a warning, what can you do?  As for the review - well, it doesn't appear to break the content policy, and it's now well buried beneath several excellent reviews from what seem to be much better guests. So if this is still stuck in your craw after half a year I guess you could vent it on social media, but why bother?

@Anonymous you have many valid points and glad to see you wouldn't host him based on our review. My hopes is that other hosts see it and use it as a warning. I guess I just feel like ABNB should protect us more as hosts. A policy is a policy and if broken, why should someone be allowed to continue to use the platform? That question isn't for you to answer, that's just why I want to push it. I think I will just leave it be-appreciate the response! 

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Lindsey260  Thanks for leaving an honest review. I wouldn't accept a booking from this guest after reading it, and I would totally discount the other review, as I discount all reviews from property management companies. Their reviews are cut and paste and always non-informative and generically good unless the guest burnt the place down.