Negative review needing help with

Desarae0
Level 2
West Des Moines, IA

Negative review needing help with

Debating writing something like this but it needs to be shortened...

He was a nice guy.

Review:

(Name) was great at quickly responding to messages and communicating his needs/wants.

He may have been more comfortable on this trip with a 24 hour check-in desk. He mentioned a couple days before check-in potentially only needing 1-2 days of his 5 day reservation and requested a full refund for the unused days.
The day before he asked if he could check-in around 10pm (about 5 hours after my check-in time). I told him I would stay up and meet him for check-in and setup a smart lock just in case. I got tired close to 10 and sent him the code to check himself in. Checked in at 4AM.

Sent me a message the next day mentioning he would be checking out late and sent a change request for one day. We spoke and he offered to pay my minimum stay of two days (despite my strict cancellation policy), I reluctantly sent a change request for 2 days. He didn't accept the change request before the end of his 5 day reservation so I cancelled the change request.

Since he was checking out late, I texted him when I was on my way. He was still there and I waited outside while he finished up his emails. I didn't charge him for the late checkout because of the 5 day stay/change request debacle.
(Name) requested that I review him as if he'd never stayed in my cottage and we'd amicably resolved his change request.

(Name) owns a sauerkraut company and was nice enough to leave us a sample jar. Would recommend him as a polite guest with good communication if you're able to accommodate self check-in/out.

★ ★ ★ ★ ☆ Overall
★ ★ ★ ★ ☆ Communication
★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆ Cleanliness
★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ Check-in/out timeliness

4 Replies 4
Marzena4
Level 10
Kraków, Poland

@Desarae0 I like your review. Just put the essence in the initial part so that it is visible on his profile, and then expand it so that it can bee seen when "more" is pressed.

I would go for maximum 3/5 overall - that haggling with reviews makes me think he's pretty aware what pain in the ass he has been (or is ;))

// "The only person you can trust is yourself"

What do you mean put the essence before the more?

Cynthia-and-Chris1
Level 10
Vancouver, WA

@Desarae0 Entirely too long for a review. Hosts don’t need every detail of why or why not you recommend him. Cut it down to 4-5 succinct sentences. 

★ ★ ★ ★ ☆ Overall
★ ★ ★ ★ ☆ Communication
★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆ Cleanliness
★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ Check-in/out timeliness

Pleasant and quickly responded to messages. Clearly communicated his needs/wants.

Initially, booked for 5 days. Shortly before arrival wanted to change to 1-2 days, requested a 4 day refund.

Requested late checked-in at 10PM. Installed a smart lock to accommodate. Self checked-in at 4AM and checked-out nearly three hours late.

Asked that I review him as if he'd never stayed in my cottage and we'd amicably resolved his change request.