Neighbour Complaint

Sam685
Level 2
Edinburgh, GB

Neighbour Complaint

Hi,

So we recently received a bit of a nightmare guest. As soon as they arrived they were being very noisy and generally poorly behaved. I shortly received 1 neighbour complaint and I had to go back to warn them and ask them to quiet down. As soon as I left the property and got back in my car the music and voices piped up again so I tried calling and send them a warning via text message saying that if we received a 2nd noise complaint we would evict them. The noise quickly died down.

As part of my Friday and Saturday night routine, I actually conduct 2 spot check late-evening at our larger properties (3 bedrooms or more). My first spot check was fine and there was no noise. However, the 2nd spot check I must have just caught them as they were coming back from their night out as they were being noisy. Unsurprisingly, the next day I received a 2nd neighbour complaint. I approached them to evict them but I made the mistake of being soft-hearted and foolishly opted to give them one more chance (I was on the phone to Airbnb and said I need to evict the guests etc. but changed my mind mid-call). They continued to take the biscuit all evening and being noisy again and I received a 3rd neighbour complaint the following day. They were a little quieter at night time but that does not make up for the rest of their stay.

Naturally, I was very disappointed with them but I was simply going to leave them a bad review to warn other hosts, request some money to cover additional cleaning costs and a smashed mirror. However, before I even had the chance to do that the guest had the cheek to request money from ME for being 'intrusive' [it should be noted that I only actually spoke to them in person at the apartment twice and both times were answered by person who made the booking AND invited me in].

If I chose to cancel them the 2nd night of their stay I would have received 50% of that nightly rate. Because they continued to disregard the rules I then requested money from the guest equating to that entire day. Given the complete disregard and lack of respect to both my neighbours and me and given the fact I had to spend a lot of extra time [attempting] to manage their stay (including mandatory early-morning callouts around 3am) I think the latter is a very fair settlement however what do you think?

I have learned my lesson and I will evict guests if a similar instance occurs.

Best wishes

Samuel

3 Replies 3
Rowena29
Level 10
Australia

@Sam685 

I'm not sure what any of us thinks is very relevant - it's what airbnb decides to do.

Have they made any decision?

In the vast majority of cases, they seem to find in the guests favour, especially if the guest gets in first.

I think you're right - the best thing to have down would have been to evict these guests from the get go, but it's easy to be wise in hindsight.

Do let us know what ends up happening

Sam685
Level 2
Edinburgh, GB

Still ongoing! Not much happening either side.

Best wishes

Samuel

Oh dear @Sam685 

Airbnb can be notoriously slow at the best of times, but with all this corona virus outbreak the whole machine seems to be grinding to a halt in terms of support.  I'm thinking you've got caught up in the general melt down.    They'll probably get around to it..... eventually....

At least if they haven't taken any action at all, the guest may end up losing interest in following through....