Neighbour complaining about little kids noise (House Rules setting doesn't allow for aged 8 & over)

Phil-and-Lisa1
Level 2
Sydney, Australia

Neighbour complaining about little kids noise (House Rules setting doesn't allow for aged 8 & over)

I'd like to say that we accept kids 8 years old and over. In Airbnb's House Rules, it only has an option for 'Not suitable for children (2-12 years)'.

If I say 'not suitable', my listing does not come up at all for anyone searching with kids of any age i.e. it rules out all families. Yet our place is actually great for families. And they have been our main customers for the past 6 years. 

If I say it is 'suitable' and put in a written note about us accepting 8 and over, people can still book with kids younger than 8. It's also easy for them to not see our note and so we end up with families booking our place that have little kids - even 2, 3, 4 years of age. 

We love kids (of all ages!) But our new neighbour does not. So much so she has been complaining about our Airbnb place to the local government and Airbnb. And getting angry toward us. Kids' noise is the issue. 

But really, little kids are the problem. Often they can excited and noisy and running up and down. 

Kids over 8 are usually much better. (So a setting of 8 and over would help a lot! Airbnb can you do this!) 

Got ideas about what we can do for now?  

Thanks,
Phil 

1 Reply 1
Lawrene0
Level 10
Florence, Canada

It would be great to break the ages down further, as you say, @Phil-and-Lisa1 , since I am in a similar situation. No disgruntled neighbour, but a treehouse that is unsafe for two-year-olds and yet a paradise for ten-year-olds. 

For now, I go the extreme route of ticking 'not suitable for children 0-12'. It has not done any harm. Families still ask, even families with toddlers still ask, and I get to vet them. I have Instant Book, so if someone insists on bringing that toddler, I can cancel without penalty. I have never had to. They always understand when I explain/exaggerate the dangers: height of the platform, darkness of the woods, deepness of the river, hungriness of the coyotes...

Sounds like your neighbour is pretty scary, so use that... I'm kidding.

Tick 'not suitable for 0-12', and then when someone wants to bring an under-8, you can say no. I know you think they won't find you, but I suspect not everyone uses the filters, since they do find me.