Never Use Airbnb — Hosts Will Leave You High and Dry

Anand191
Level 2
England, United Kingdom

Never Use Airbnb — Hosts Will Leave You High and Dry

I booked a private room with Airbnb for accommodation in Dubai for five nights. I paid for this in advance. Upon reaching Dubai, the Airbnb host told me that he could no longer accommodate me. He provided me a different address and asked me to go and stay there for two nights and he would shift me to original booking place after that.

Upon reaching the other address, I found that the flat was locked and no one was there. I had to ask reception for help to contact the Airbnb host as my phone was not working there. Upon contact the host he said he couldn’t accommodate me at the new address either. He did not provide any explanation and left me without a roof over my head in an unknown city. I was left to sort out my own accommodation with limited internet connectivity and battery life left on my phone.

In this situation I had to take whatever was available. I ended up staying in a hostel sharing a room with five unknown people and also sharing other facilities. Airbnb put me in this situation as they failed to fulfil their responsibility. My safety was at risk. My health was at risk as I had to share things with five other people for five nights. I could not get proper sleep.

The entire experience not only totally ruined my trip but also left me in distress and with negative effects on my mental well being. I was constantly anxious and worried about my health and safely due to the pandemic. I informed Airbnb about this incident the evening of Dec. 30. I received a call and provided all the information to customer service. They said they were unable to contact their own host to find out why he could not accommodate me. They also did not offer me any help to find an alternative suitable accommodation.

The entire trip turned into a nightmare. Airbnb staff were totally unhelpful. They could not even contact their own host after I provided a different number that he was using. Airbnb neither provided any immediate help or help to find alternative accommodation. On top of that, they also closed my case without reaching any conclusion. This company should not be allowed to operate in the hospitality sector at all.

Apparently Airbnb is unregulated company .  When you book accommodation your contact is with host and not with Airbnb.  They would put their hands up if things go wrong.  You are putting your self in danger by trusting a total stranger. You are better off staying in a hotel. 

55 Replies 55
Mike-And-Jane0
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

@Anand191 A real shame you were let down. I hope you left a review for the host. so others are not let down in the same way. 

Did the host have good reviews?

Hi Mark. 

There were couple of good reviews on host . And I also messaged him before booking via airbnb and he replied as well.  He gave me assurance and details of locations . 

I was not just let by host but also by airbnb. They failed to provide service for which I paid in advance. 

Also they are unregulated. When you book accommodation your contract is with host and not with airbnb.

They did not offer any assistance . 

I did leave review on host . But funny part is not even airbnb could contact the host. 

I was left on my own to sort out things , and with a ruined trip. 

I would just say . Never use airbnb for your own safety. 

Elena87
Level 10
СПБ, Russia

@Anand191 

Are you sure your trip was completely ruined and a nightmare ?  This contrasts with a review you left at the same time. Sounds like you are hamming it up for a bucket load of compo? 

Dubai beach hostel - The First Hostel in UAE
December 2020

Lala is the one of most the most helpful person ever . She recused me from a really bad situation I was in due to my other Airbnb booking went bad . She arranged every thing for me so quickly . I can’t thank her enough for helpful she has been. Her place is amazing . I met really interring people at her place . Plus great location if close to beach . Fab fab fab ..

Anand, England, United Kingdom
Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

Hi @Elena87 

it appears this the review for the alternative accommodation @Anand191  found after being let down by the first host. 

Helen350
Level 10
Whitehaven, United Kingdom

True @Helen3 , but I think @Elena87 knew that & was merely making the point that @Anand191 was quite impressed, so likely didn't have the angst ridden sleepless nights he claimed to have had!

Anand191
Level 2
England, United Kingdom

@Helen350 @ Or may be you should try your self staying in hostel with 5 other people and see how good sleep you can get .  Why come on here and waste your time if you dont want to believe what one has to say . 

Helen350
Level 10
Whitehaven, United Kingdom

@Anand191 Oh, I've stayed in official Youth Hostels in England, Scotland, Netherlands & Austria. And in over 50 Youth Hostels in Germany! I've stayed in private hostels in Ireland, Australia & Namibia. I slept well in all of them!

I came here to encourage you, that by your own admission, not all Airbnbs are bad! Indeed you said you had a positive experience at the hostel you stayed at!

Anand191
Level 2
England, United Kingdom

@Helen350 Because you can sleep well in a hostel sharing the room with many people doesn't  mean all can . 

If I wanted to stay in a hostel I would have booked for from very beginning and not booked a private room and paid for it. 

My review is only about how helpful the lady was .  I wouldn't behave ungratefully by putting any thing negative words out for her , even if I didn't sleep well for 5 night. 

May be you have some business interest with airbnb and that's why you are defending the company which I can understand. Every one has to look after them selves . And that's what these companies take advantage off and not enough people come together to take action against such entities , and they get away . 

Anand191
Level 2
England, United Kingdom

@Helen3  Thats right.  That lady called lala was very helpful . Unlike airbnb who could only say that they cant do any thing because they couldn't contact the host.  

Anand191
Level 2
England, United Kingdom

@Elena87  Hi Elena. Yes lala was very helpful in arranging an alternative accommodation for me. 

I tried contacting 3 - 4 hosts standing by the street in Dubai and she was the only one who came back to me quickly.  As I mentioned I did not want  to stay in shared room so i booked a private room. 

But I wouldn't say any thing bad for some one who helped in a situation when I needed the most. 

I had to change all my plans at the last moment . Ended up paying about  £150 more in phone bills and taxi charges . Had to stay in a different area than I originally wanted to and yes although she was very helpful I did not get good sleep for 5 nights as It was shared accommodation .

And why should any one go through hassle of all this if Airbnb cant guarantee the very basic thing for which they exist. And when things went wrong all they said is because they couldn't get in touch with host they cant do any thing. 

Is this what airbnb way of making money is. ? 

Anand191
Level 2
England, United Kingdom

@Elena87  

@Elena87  Hi Elena. Yes lala was very helpful in arranging an alternative accommodation for me. 

I tried contacting 3 - 4 hosts standing by the street in Dubai and she was the only one who came back to me quickly.  As I mentioned I did not want  to stay in shared room so i booked a private room. 

But I wouldn't say any thing bad for some one who helped in a situation when I needed the most. 

I had to change all my plans at the last moment . Ended up paying about  £150 more in phone bills and taxi charges . Had to stay in a different area than I originally wanted to and yes although she was very helpful I did not get good sleep for 5 nights as It was shared accommodation .

And why should any one go through hassle of all this if Airbnb cant guarantee the very basic thing for which they exist. And when things went wrong all they said is because they couldn't get in touch with host they cant do any thing. 

Anand191
Level 2
England, United Kingdom

@Elena87  No Elena. It was one of the best trip ever.

What could be better than being left on the street of a foreign country for hours after a 10 hours journey.

May be that's your idea of perfect trip.

Mark116
Level 10
Jersey City, NJ

@Anand191  There must be a reason why Airbnb didn't refund you if you proved to them that you could not access the property.  Airbnb is fairly incompetent but they usually do okay on things that very, very straightfoward.  Did you book and pay directly on the Airbnb platform?   If so, then you should get a refund.  If you followed some other convoluted bank transfer or direct payment then you have been scammed and there isn't anything Airbnb can do to  help you.

Anand191
Level 2
England, United Kingdom

Hi Mark.  airbnb did refund me .  But I did not book my accommodation to get a refund from airbnb .

airbnb is suppose to provide guaranteed and safe accommodation and not allow any one and every one to rent out their place without checking properly. They could not even contact their own host. 

I was told they cant do any thing until they speak to the host. 

Meanwhile , I was left on street in an unknown city . Airbnb did not offer to find any alternative accommodation either.  I was left to sort it out myself. what is the point of using a multiple billon dollar company if they cant provide the  most basic service they are suppose to ?

Getting refund did not do any thing to improve the hell  that I had to go though and a ruined trip .

If Airbnb cant secure accommodation than what's the point of this existence of this company ? 

I hold airbnb responsible as they complete failed to provide accommodation and on top  any support or solution .