New Airbnb Host in STL

Princess42
Level 2
St. Louis, MO

New Airbnb Host in STL

Dear peeps, I'm a new Airbnb Host in St. Louis (STL) Missouri. Just a day young. I can't find details on rent law in MO, or who to call on this subject. Also, any recommendations on tax payment, good pricing, any good deal accountant or an apps to do it? No bookings yet, so it's good, I can be more prepared. I own the house with 2 rooms for rent and will be a live-in Host with my son. I have done the cleaning and disinfectant. Anything I should know more? Thank you so much.

In FruitoftheSpirit.

Yours,
Princess Aurelio
10 Replies 10
Ann72
Level 10
New York, NY

Welcome @Princess42 and enjoy the ride.  First things first - get rid of the 20% introductory discount.  You don't need it and it's just going to attract bad guests.

Otherwise, https://www.airbnb.com/help/article/2312/occupancy-tax-collection-and-remittance-by-airbnb-in-missou....

Princess42
Level 2
St. Louis, MO

@Ann72  looks lin STL, Airbnb will collect the taxes on the guests on behalf of the Host's. Correct? I/Host just click pre-approval, wait for the guest to accept, they pay, and we collect the money. Correct?

In FruitoftheSpirit.

Yours,
Princess Aurelio
Mike-And-Jane0
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

@Princess42 search other properties in you area that match what you offer to determine a good price. Don't take any notice of the Airbnb price suggestions as they are stupidly low. 

Good luck

@Mike-And-Jane0 yes I learned Not to follow the smart pricing as it is very low. like $20/night and yet I saw the other rentals around me put $60-75/night. and my rental is not bad, it's clean, cozy.  But, i thought, since I'm a new Host, I want to give a discount as a "thank you for being the first guest".  Boy was I silly... apparently, I put double discount... one the monthy discount (28 days or more) + 20% off (as first guest). And I forgot about it. OMG!!  This stupid Airbnb suggestions pop up is the reason!! As a new comer, I was learning all the trades. I learned my lesson. I guess, I see it as a good offer for the first 3 first-guest. But, after these two guests, I will immediately removed that discounts!!!!! For now, I should not feel bad (although I need all the money in the world right now!)

In FruitoftheSpirit.

Yours,
Princess Aurelio
Mike-And-Jane0
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

@Princess42 You need to sort out the listing urgently. It shows a queen bed in the twin bed room. Go in via your profile and you will see you have copied your listings but not managed to edit them correctly.

Partly as a result of this I am totally confused as to what you are offering. Where for example is the sofa bed?

You should also make it clearer that you live there (if you do)

@Mike-And-Jane0 oh myy thanks... I will check it and correct it. I did put the info that the sofabed is located in the living room and I stated that I am a Live-In Host with my son. 

In FruitoftheSpirit.

Yours,
Princess Aurelio
Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

If you have instant book turned on, I would recommend turning it off until you have sorting out your listings and familiarise yourself with how Airbnb and any STR regulations in your area works.  @Princess42 

Airbnb Help is good for the basics around setting up and managing your listing 

@Helen3 Good info. Ok, I will. Thanks. Does that mean, I put the icon that says "guest must confirm the reservation to me first" (something like that). Correct? Ugh... I'm learning as I go. I now learned to Not react so fast on the pop-up from Airbnb. For first timer Airbnb Host like me, it will cost them dearly. Apparently, I forgot that I put double discount!!! Although it is helpful but that stupid Airbnb pop-up confuses me with too many suggestions. LOL!

In FruitoftheSpirit.

Yours,
Princess Aurelio

@Mike-And-Jane0 Ok I corrected it. Learning as I go. Thanks.

In FruitoftheSpirit.

Yours,
Princess Aurelio
Mike-And-Jane0
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

@Princess42 So, if I am right you have 2 rooms which could rent to two different unrelated people and then one of them could also have a sofa bed in the lounge which means that what was a shared lounge becomes unavailable? Seems like a recipe for disaster to me.

That said you seem more than capable of sorting out these little things so I wish you luck.