New Badge: This Host Prefers Vaccinated Guests

Peter3096
Level 2
Hinesburg, VT

New Badge: This Host Prefers Vaccinated Guests

I would like to be able to add an indicator / Tag / badge on my listing that shows that we "Prefer guests who have been COVID-19 vaccinated "   

I don't want to ask for or police people's vaccination status -  I just want to make it clear to potential guests that when they book that we prefer guests who are vaccinated. 

The badge could be similar in appearance to the current  Super Host Badge - and when booking and Airbnb you could search for listings that have this badge.

Company after company in the past two weeks are mandating vaccination for their employees - I feel like the least we could do is make it clear we prioritize public health and take it seriously.   I bet it would increase our views and rentals.  

Airbnb can we do that? 

28 Replies 28

@Christine615 the primary point, for me, is respecting my community by not bringing unvaccinated travelers into it. Also, when vaccination was not widely available we maintained a four-day vacancy buffer between stays to protect our cleaners and incoming guests; everybody being vaccinated was a prerequisite for discontinuing that practise. Finally, I have no desire to participate in making life easy for people who don't care to be part of the solution.

What I don't see the point of is talking to Airbnb. Airbnb doesn't have a coherent policy on this and their reps are just going to make something up.

@Cristina838  There are the cleaners to consider, whether it's the host or an employee.

There is also not wanting to encourage travelers who haven't been vaxed from infecting others in your community. Sure, they can book somewhere else in your town that doesn't have a vax requirement, but at least you haven't been party to facilitating that.

Ann72
Level 10
New York, NY

@Peter3096  I found a nice PDF that says "All Are Welcome Here" and added it to my listing photos.  So that's one way to go about it, although the sentiment you want to express is the opposite.  I see your point about companies mandating vaccinations for their employees but that can't apply to guests, hots, and Airbnb.  I think you'll just need to find a creative way to express your preference without involving Airbnb.

You might consider offering incentives, such as  gift baskets or a discount on a future stay, to guests who show proof of vaccination.  Doing it any other way just comes off as judgmental, self-righteous, and priggish, if not discriminatory, even though I 100% agree that everyone should be vaccinated.

Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Peter3096 @Ann72 

What I have been dong recently is asking guests if they are vaccinated or not, because that will effect the self-isolation/testing requirements when they enter the UK. So far, no one has objected to being asked. Rather, they seem glad that I am providing the information to them.

Of course, that only applies to international guests. For UK guests, I would need a different tactic.

I put in my listing (from the get go) that we are only accepting reservations from guests practicing Covid-19 safety. It hasn't been a problem and the guests have been respectful. One guest even offered to mask up in shared hallway even though they were vaccinated.

The new mutation is more contagious. So no. People who don't want to be vaccinated can go stay at a hotel or with a like-minded host.

@Christine615 

"People who don't want to be vaccinated can go stay at a hotel"

That's a huge part of the problem - when these people stay at hotels, they're a danger to far more people in the community than they would have been in self-contained accommodations. So while they can stay at a hotel or even a dorm hostel (!) I really, really hope they don't.

@Anonymous this is true, and hopefully as mandates become more and more widespread there will be fewer and fewer such places for the unvaccinated (by choice) to go.

It's an easy decision for us because there are no hotels in our location, and few vacation rentals.

@Anonymous I really really hope they just stay the h*ll home.

It’s not our problem, or responsibly to police the world. But we must have some firm control and policy in our own homes. We must consider our own health and safety and the safety of members of our families, as well as cleaners and other guests who will be coming into our home. We don’t have the luxury of pandering to people who are trying to push a political message. The Marriot and the Hilton have the resources to take care of themselves if an unvaccinated guest creates an outbreak in their hotels. I’m high risk and cannot afford to play games, or be politically correct. Accept my house rules or kindly go somewhere else. 

Jillian115
Level 10
Jamestown, CA

@Peter3096 Yes. Especially for house shares. I have an entire place listed but if I shared my home I would not welcome someone who was not vaccinated or refusing to be for any other reason than medical concerns. 

Well once we get our vaccination rate up I will not be taking unvaccinated guests...  Its just not worth the risk to our health.

Cathie19
Level 10
Darwin, Australia

Oh @Peter3096 , to even have this as an option…

In Australia the vaccination rollout has been abysmal, with lack of overall supply let alone vaccine options (health choice) from the beginning.

Many Australians wanting a vaccine, but with demand outstripping supplies, making it currently impossible. Therefore, it would be discriminatory for us here, as hosts.

Following Safe Covid19 practices and expecting guests to do the same, is about it I’m afraid. We can mention Covid19 safety in our messages: our expectations for best practise.

However, if a guest doesn’t, then they can be called out by it in your review, or your choice of hosting them again…..

I’m also the cleaner of a separate guest suite in my own property, so I’m scarily aware of the increased dangers raised by unvaccinated individuals: especially the insidious Delta variant.

Hopefully, there will be a level playing field for everyone some day soon. I’m sure down the track, there will be requirements to show proof of vaccines or medical exemptions, but that’s not anytime soon……  Every country is working through this at different stages and timelines.

Amy673
Level 2
Kalamazoo, MI

Yes! That would be fantastic

@Peter3096 Totally agree.  

Airbnb should have this tick box on their website when booking and it should have been done before now.  Airbnb need to realise we as hosts are their clients, we are their customers, if we get sick they lose out not just us.

Guests are booking part of my home so I have to protect myself as well as them.  My house my rules and I have no concerns asking if guests are vaccinated but I am finding most guests tell me before I ask.