New Booking and Refund Policy

Neil522
Level 2
Glen Davis, Australia

New Booking and Refund Policy

Just recieved an email with Airbnb's new Rebooking and Refund Policy .It is completely unfair to hosts. It allows Airbnb to book a guest into more expensive accommodation and bill the host for the difference ! I left Booking .com because of this (and the fact they are a pain to deal with). Any refunds should be limited to the amount paid, not the cost of providing better accommodation . It’s an asymmetric risk to hosts and shows Airbnb has learnt nothing from the backlash against it’s previous skewed Extenuating Risks policy .They simply don't get we own the properties and should set the policies .

9 Replies 9
M199
Level 10
South Bruce Peninsula, Canada

@Neil522 

Can you print screen and post the relative parts of the email?

@Sarah977,  @sybe

Neil522
Level 2
Glen Davis, Australia

@Sarah977@Sybe have posted belowScreen Shot 2022-03-30 at 9.18.36 am.png

Yea, we don't get the security deposit and Airbnb never pays out. i.e. provide the receipt of the couch the guest destroyed and upload a picture.
1) pictures don't upload

2) do I still have that receipt? Does it matter? The same couch that was $850 2 years ago is now $1500! 

If there is SUCH a problem with the listing (and it does happen) you know within 30 minutes of checking in, not 3 days later!

Colleen253
Level 10
Alberta, Canada

M199
Level 10
South Bruce Peninsula, Canada

@Colleen253 

Maybe me, but I didn't see the part about upcharging

a host if a guest gets moved to a more expensive accommodation in the other thread.

@M199 The general discussion is about the updated guest refund policy (the rehousing policy is part of it), which @Neil522 notes in the title of his post. The rehousing policy is not new btw. I just thought Neil might want to go there to bring that part of it up. A large thread is going to get more attention from the powers that be. 

Our community of Hosts and guests is founded on trust and we are always working on ways to strengthen that foundation.

In the coming weeks, we will be making the changes described below.

Airbnb is taking further steps to hold guests responsible for damage they cause to your listing.

• By the end of May, guests will be informed that their payment method may be charged if they cause damage to a listing. As part of this update, security deposits will be removed from the listing settings page.

Airbnb is updating how rebooking assistance and refunds work for guests.

• We are updating our guest refund policy for stays to allow 72 hours to report travel issues and clarify how refunds and rebooking assistance are handled. Review the updated and renamed Rebooking and Refund Policy here for details.

In November, we launched AirCover for Hosts, inspired by your input. We’re committed to continuing our work to advance our protection programs for the community.

Thanks,

The Airbnb Team

@Colleen253    I have a question about Airbnb's rebooking and refund policy  when guest requests  to cancel after staying for one night from a five night booking.     After speaking with CS   I agree to refund the remaining nights not stayed IF  I am able to get  a replacement booking which I did.   Question is:

How much the guest should receive?   Although I am able to secure a replacement booking , but the amount is much lower than the original booking.      I feel guest is  only entitle to the replacement amount I receive as it's the guest's fault  per my cancellation policy and CS  agree with me.   I looked high and low but cannot find Airbnb's policy on this in details.   Does anyone come across this situation before and can offer me an answer?   Thanks very much.       

Amanda1983
Level 2
League City, TX

This is really anti host AND this policy change is getting tons of press. So it basically inviting scammers in! Why would anyone need that long to come up with or find an issue??