New COVID Requirements

Melissa1416
Level 1
Texas, United States

New COVID Requirements

I'm offended by the new policy to wear a face mask AND social distance on my own property. I can understand requiring one OR the other, but to require BOTH is an overstep of my rights as an owner. I would wear a mask if I were within 6 feet of my guests, but I should be able to greet them across the yard and not have to wear a mask. I have been a loyal client and praise AirBnB to everyone over other sites I'm listed on. However, I would rather cancel my listing than agree to both of these terms. Please reconsider and take into account the opinions of your hosts. @Catherine-Powell

3 Replies 3
Mike-And-Jane0
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

@Melissa1416 elsewhere on the forum it has been confirmed that only a medical exemption will stop Airbnb requiring a mask and even then it needs to be disclosed to each guest before booking.

I guess this will drive many home-share hosts away from the platform. So much for going back to Airbnb's roots

Julian-And-Julie0
Level 2
Chard, United Kingdom

I've looked at the details Airbnb gave for the wearing of facemasks.  It says "All Airbnb Experiences hosts and guests must wear protective face coverings as recommended by regulatory agencies or authorities such as the US CDC or the European CDC".

Looking on the European link it doesn't say anything about having to wear a face mask when outside.  Our Airbnb is our coach house which is the other side of our driveway.  We greet our guests on our side of the outside gate.  We make sure we keep at least 2m away from our guests.  So the way I read it, we don't need to wear masks in this scenario.  Obviously, if we have to enter the Coach House for any reason while the guests are there (ie, something not working properly) we will wear a mask then.

We declined the Airbnb covid-19 restrictions and requirements on our home.  We will utilize other platforms.  Only when Hosts push back and refuse the overreach, will Airbnb be forced to change it's policies.