New Formatting for Rules Section?

New Formatting for Rules Section?

I'm putting my home on AirBNB to rent. In looking at the preview I noticed that all the formatting has changed radically! Now you always have to click on "more" to see what's written in each section. I liked it much better the way it was previously. Now someone has to click and dig to read everything and can easily gloss over the good information.

My biggest beef is with the way the Rules section is now formatted, and where it's placed. It now is UNDER the map! People are used to seeing the map at the very bottom of the ad (and I think that's the best place since it's not really important). Now they will think they've seen everything when they see the map, but the House Rules (which they need to read) are buried beneath the map. And the biggest problem I see is that AirBNB requires you to enter each House Rule separately, but then when you click on that section in the ad it's just one long paragraph with no breaks. If AirBNB wants to require guests to read the house rules before they book, this will be quite daunting and difficult to read even if there are only 3 rules! (See screenshot below.) Then how can we as hosts make sure the guest reads the House Rules?

AirBNB, PLEASE re-format your rules section and move it back up above the map! If you want us to add rules separately, at least make sure the format inserts a space between each rule to make it easier on the eyes to read. At least I put the headings in capital letters but even that doesn't really do much to separate the rules. HELP!!!!! I may have to put these under the same section as "Things to know." However, I don't see this section even listed on the ad, whereas I entered information into that spot when I created my ad. Hmmm... another problem? I'm a graphic designer and this new design is horrible in my opinion!

AIrBNB: You need to go back in time and keep the formatting you've always had... my opinion! What do others think?

AirBNB House Rules Screen Shot.jpg

4 Replies 4
Linda108
Level 10
La Quinta, CA

@David-and-Shari0  The new formatting does take some getting used to.  At first I didn't like it as it felt somewhat sketchy.  I tried to see it from the traveler's perspective and can see how it might be friendlier for them.  It appears to allow the traveler a quick overview then allow a more specfic drill down. 

On the other hand, newbies may not know how to drill down and book without a clear understanding of the listing.  It appears to me that I get more inquiries that reveal the potential guest do not understand what is being offered.  I have to confirm certain aspects with the guest and often that results in the guest deciding not to go forward with the booking.  I only have one listing so it is not too much trouble but those hosts with multiple listings it might be a bigger hassle.

@Linda108Thanks! That's good to know that sometimes people have not really looked at the entire ad and have missed certain details that are important. Maybe now I'll have to include everything in the listing in the messages I send instead. I hope AirBNB at least changes the formatting of the Rules section though. Seems like that's an important section that should not be hidden.

Branka-and-Silvia0
Level 10
Zagreb, Croatia

@David-and-Shari0 I am web designer and Airbnb layout is getting less user friendly and worse every day. 

I do like few new features like multi calendar , duplicate listing and calendar sinc but all other changes are complete failure. I liked it so much more just 1 year ago.

Good news... I sent a request to AirBNB via their Help link (a web form) asking them how they expected a guest to read and agree (or even find) the House Rules with the new design. Today I went to some ads that yesterday had been showing up in the new format, refreshed the webpage, and now they're back to the original formatting with the House Rules near the top and no pop-ups when you click a Read More link. And my preview is also back to normal.

Who knows if my post did anything... maybe enough other people had already complained? I'm shocked but very happy with the result!