New Guest-New to AirBnB

New Guest-New to AirBnB

So I'm new to AirBnB, and have booked my first room. I did the ID verification, uploaded a photo of my husband and I, and gave an answer as to why we are coming into town. Now the host is grilling my about my intent, like she doesn't believe why I would be coming to town. For what it's worth, my husband and I are taking our car to the dealer (we don't have one in my town). Is this normal? 

5 Replies 5
Lawrene0
Level 10
Florence, Canada

Hosts are sometimes wary of new users, @Cynthia1011 , so asking questions is normal. If she is telling you right off the bat she doesn't believe you, however, the booking isn't starting off on the best foot. By grilling, you mean she is asking you the same questions over and over? 

I would say that if this is so, it will be best to cancel and find a place where you are more comfortable with the host's communication. How much time do you have before you need to take that car in? If you have time, send an inquiry to the host of another place you like the look of. See whether the communication makes that place a better fit. 

Gordon0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

Doesn't sound like the best first experience, @Cynthia1011, and I'd be peeved too. If it's a confirmed booking and she doesn't like the sound of it, ask her to cancel is she feels that way. You should not have to suffer (financially, if that's likely) due to her attitude.

Gwen386
Level 10
Lusby, MD

Hmmm. If this is a shared bedroom in the host’s home, this may be why the host super cautious. But if it’s a separate unit, it may be best to find another airbnb. There’s no sense starting out having bad vibes. 

Thank you both so much for your helpful replies. Perhaps she is just being chatty, and I'm very much not a chatty person. I read more of the forum here, and perhaps people are just expecting a level of communication I'm not used to, being new and all. I think it's going to be a good experience, the place has great reviews, and I don't want to over-react right off the bat. Thank you both again for your replies, I think it helped my nail down what is to be expected and what is not. 

Jenny
Community Manager
Community Manager
Galashiels, United Kingdom

I hope you have a hassle-free stay, @Cynthia1011, feel free to come back and give us an update about your experience.

I'm glad to hear that the Community was able to give you a sense of what hosts are looking for, to help set your expectations!

Jenny

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines