New Hampshire room and meal tax

Robin8
Level 1
Milford, NH

New Hampshire room and meal tax

Do any of my fellow NH AirBNB hosts know how the rooms and meals tax works?  

45 Replies 45

Still make sure to get your licenses.

Will Airbnb be filing my taxes under my License number? If not, how will the state know that I am current?

NO they will not use your license number, see message below:

Will you share my personal information when remitting tax?
No. We will be filing one tax return per jurisdiction with the total combined reservation revenue for all Airbnb bookings in the area. This means that all hosts will be represented by one payment amount, and we will not be providing your personal information on the return.

I just spoke to the NH Revenue office, and they said Airbnb is now responsible now for this tax.

If you have a business license for your NH Airbnb, you will need to file your Final Return by 11/15.

Per the M&R Tax Booklet:
UPDATES & CHANGES:
Operators must complete and file Form CD-100 and submit it to the Department any time there is an address change, or change in business status.

"A final return and surrender of the former entity's license is required. See "Amended & Final Returns" section below:
AMENDED & FINAL RETURNS
You may not file amended or final returns through TEFEFILE.
Amended returns may be filed by E-FILES or paper by using the Meals & Rental Tax Return (DP-14) contained in this booklet.
If filing a final Meals & Rentals Tax Return, you must file a paper return and your Meals & Rentals Tax Operators License must be returned to the Department. 

YOU WILL NOW ONLY NEED A MEALS & RENTALS TAX OPERATORS LICENSE, IF YOU ARE RENTING PRIVATELY (If you are collecting taxes).

You can make sure it's paid by going to your transaction history.
How can I see the amount of tax collected on my behalf?
The amount is displayed in the Gross Earnings tab of your Transaction History.

Hi there: Can you explain where I can verify this information on the AirBNB site?  I'm unable to locate it.  Thanks so much. 

Hi MaryJane,

you can contact the NH Revenue office, they are very helpful.

Jennifer

So now I do NOT need a NH meals and rentals tax operators license if I am only renting out (my NH property) through Air BNB?

That’s correct, they charge the guest for the tax and pay NH. Whereabouts in NH are you. VRBO won’t answer what they do.

Yes, this is great news! Thanks to all who made noise:-)

Suzanne

Linda660
Level 2
Kingston, NH

Hi,

I just started as a host on Airbnb and have already earned close to $3,000.  I have used the same person for the past 25 years do my taxes, however, he never even heard of Airbnb before!!  How can someone who has no knowledge of Airbnb help me.  Do I just claim my earnings as supplemental income?  How do I deduct costs of hosting?  I have lots of questions and the more I read the more complicated it becomes.  I'm looking specifically someone in New Hampshire who understands NH law. 

Any advice?  I'd like to hear how other NH hosts claim their earnings.  Thank you!!

Linda

I have someone in Littleton NH that is great.

you can message me for more details 

Hi Jennifer,

If you can provide me with the name of the CPA in Littleton, NH that would be so helpful.

Linda

Carrie *

Driscoll & Company, PLLC

[Personal information hidden]
Phone: [Phone number hidden]

Thank you!  I'll give her a call.

Does not matter if s/he has heard of which booking system you use, is the person familiar with B&B's?

David
John2900
Level 2
Plymouth, MA

I just feel like this is a really helpful link for anyone in NH that is just starting out on AirBNB and may be concerned about taxes. https://www.revenue.nh.gov/tirs/documents/2017-008-airbnbhosts.pdf  The document states:

"For sleeping accommodations booked on and after November 1, 2017:

1. For Airbnb Hosts offering sleeping accommodations ONLY on Airbnb:

Airbnb will have an M&R Tax license, and will file monthly returns, collect, and remit the M&R
Tax due to the DRA on your behalf. If you offer sleeping accommodations exclusively through
Airbnb, you may surrender your existing M&R Tax license to the DRA, but only after the month in which you collect and remit the last of any M&R Tax due for sleeping accommodations
booked prior to November 1, 2017. To surrender your existing M&R Tax license, you must file
with the DRA: (1) a final DRA Form DP-14, M&R Tax return (which must be filed using a
paper return); and (2) a DRA Form CD-100 with box #9 checked and dated with the day you are
surrendering your license. You must continue to file a monthly return even though no M&R Tax
may be due up until you surrender your license, in accordance with RSA 78-A:8, I. Please note
that if you file a final return and surrender your existing M&R Tax license, you must apply for a
new M&R Tax license if you later decide to also offer sleeping accommodations through any
means other than Airbnb.

2. For Airbnb Hosts offering sleeping accommodations on Airbnb AND through other
means:

Airbnb will have an M&R Tax license, and will file monthly returns, collect, and remit the M&R
Tax due to the DRA on your behalf, but only for sleeping accommodations booked through
Airbnb on and after November 1, 2017. You will remain obligated to register and obtain an
M&R Tax license, and to file monthly returns, collect, and remit the M&R Tax due to the DRA
for sleeping accommodations offered through any means other than Airbnb.

3. For operators not offering sleeping accommodations through Airbnb:

You remain obligated to register and obtain an M&R Tax license by submitting a completed
DRA Form CD-3, file monthly returns, collect, and remit the M&R Tax due to the DRA. Please
contact the DRA or visit our website below for more information."