New Host - Instant Bookings - Cancellation Fees

Austin21
Level 1
Draper, UT

New Host - Instant Bookings - Cancellation Fees

Hello,

I am a new host and did not realize how instant booking would impact my new hosting account.  We were forced to change some of our reservations, and the description of our home, well in advance of any bookers reservation.  We are now facing at least one $50 fine for this cancellation.  I think these fees should be waived during the first month of hosting because it takes that long to figure out the system!

Please, any help to getting this fee refunded would be appreciated.

Thanks

AA

4 Replies 4
Cynthia-and-Chris1
Level 10
Vancouver, WA

That is why it is recommended to Snooze your listing while you're still figuring out the system. 

I have the same problem, and am facing two cancelations now, even after I have taken myself out of instant booking. Can anyone tell me how to directly contact Airbnb and talk to a human being about this?

Christine

I see that you still have Instant Booking on when I look at your listing, @Christine527.  You might need to double check that you have turned it off.  I also see the one automated cancellation review.  Because cancellation by host is a big red flag to travelers, it is always best to write an explanation to the review.  As to getting the penalty waived, you need to speak with staff at Air BNB.  Here is a guide for contacting Air BNB

https://community.withairbnb.com/t5/Help/Contact-Airbnb-A-Community-Help-Guide/m-p/16165#M728

Thanks for this response, Linda. You are right, I was back in instant booking mode. I did find the phone number for airbnb and actually talked to a live person who made sure I am permanently off of instant booking. She also has passed me on to a trip manager who is going to review the situation and get back to me about removing my $50 penalty and black marks against me for canceling before I knew what I was doing!  Thanks for your quick response and willingness to help us newbies!

Christine