New Host - What Can I and What Can't I Do?

Answered!
Paul1723
Level 2
Burnham-on-Sea, United Kingdom

New Host - What Can I and What Can't I Do?

I have just started to promote our apartments and have a 6-week booking already.

However, as Im new to the system I am finding it a bit overwhelming trying to find info.

1) I have accepted the Booking - When do I receive the Guests details? ie name, address, email, phone?

2) Is it correct that AirBnB send me the payment the day after the guest checks in? Is that correct for a 6 week stay?

3) I set a £100 Damage Deposit - is that just something AirBnB handle in the background ie I dont have to collect/refund that money?

4) What info am I allowed to ask from the Guest? (I dont know what info I might need but don't want o break any rules)

Thank You for your help

Paul

1 Best Answer
Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

Hello @Paul1723 

Have you had a look at Airbnb Help Centre and the useful tutorials on these forums. If not please take the time to read them as along with the extensive content on Airbnb's website - they will help you become familiar with the basics and will answer the majority of your questions

1) I have accepted the Booking - When do I receive the Guests details? ie name, address, email, phone?

You will see their details on your booking confirmation. You don't receive their address.

2) Is it correct that AirBnB send me the payment the day after the guest checks in? Is that correct for a 6 week stay?

I think you get the first month paid out for the long term stay initially, but don have a look at Airbnb's long term stay policy on Airbnb Help centre

3) I set a £100 Damage Deposit - is that just something AirBnB handle in the background ie I dont have to collect/refund that money?

Details of how Airbnb deposit works is outlined in Airbnb Help Centre. They handle it. No money is collected - a charge is held against the visitors payment mechanism.

4) What info am I allowed to ask from the Guest? (I dont know what info I might need but don't want o break any rules)

If you want to ask specific information from a guest you need to put it in your house rules.  There is no set list of what you are allowed to ask - obviously nothing discriminatrory.

For example you can't add a minimum age of 21 unless your apartment block imposes this restriction on you. Airbnb accepts anyone over 18.

My top tips for you ;-

a) make sure you have your own home insurance for STRs in place

b) turn off IB until you become familiar with how Airbnb works to avoid costly mistakes

c) if you host remotely have CCTV at your properties

d) don't take long term bookings when you first start, I would suggest you limit stays to a few weeks.

Finally Airbnb asks you to install a photo of yourself on your profile not your company logo as it installs trust - would suggest you do this along with completing a description.

View Best Answer in original post

6 Replies 6
Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

Hello @Paul1723 

Have you had a look at Airbnb Help Centre and the useful tutorials on these forums. If not please take the time to read them as along with the extensive content on Airbnb's website - they will help you become familiar with the basics and will answer the majority of your questions

You will see their details on your booking confirmation. You don't receive their address.

I think you get the first month paid out for the long term stay initially, but don have a look at Airbnb's long term stay policy on Airbnb Help centre

Details of how Airbnb deposit works is outlined in Airbnb Help Centre. They handle it. No money is collected - a charge is held against the visitors payment mechanism.

If you want to ask specific information from a guest you need to put it in your house rules.  There is no set list of what you are allowed to ask - obviously nothing discriminatrory.

For example you can't add a minimum age of 21 unless your apartment block imposes this restriction on you. Airbnb accepts anyone over 18.

My top tips for you ;-

a) make sure you have your own home insurance for STRs in place

b) turn off IB until you become familiar with how Airbnb works to avoid costly mistakes

c) if you host remotely have CCTV at your properties

d) don't take long term bookings when you first start, I would suggest you limit stays to a few weeks.

Finally Airbnb asks you to install a photo of yourself on your profile not your company logo as it installs trust - would suggest you do this along with completing a description.

Paul1723
Level 2
Burnham-on-Sea, United Kingdom

Hi Helen

Thank You for your reply - most of which you have kindly answered.

I am finding the Help files difficult to get around - too many pages which dont neccesarily address the question but very time consuming to go through them all.

Point taken re profile pic - will look at that shortly.

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

I find it easiest if you google it, if you can't find it through key word searches on Airbnb Help i.e.

https://www.airbnb.co.uk/help/article/1561/how-do-i-find-the-booking-confirmation-for-an-experience-...

https://www.airbnb.co.uk/help/article/140/how-does-airbnb-handle-security-deposits

And yes it is time consuming when you start out, but you are setting up a business and it does take time to become familiar with all the ins and outs of doing so with Airbnb (or other listing company).

You can also search on this form. I would say 99% of the time if it is a question about how Airbnb operates you will find the question has already been asked and answered.

Hana93
Level 1
Bangkok, Thailand

Hello,

My name is Hana and I am a new host in Phuket,Thailand. My business is service apartment in Kamala center.

Could you recommend How can I promote our service apartment  to guest.

Thank you,

Best regards,

Hana

how much is normal for 1 bedroom and shared bath in a house?

Sapphire2
Level 2
England, United Kingdom

Thank you for all of the tips!