[New Host] When to publish listing?

Answered!

[New Host] When to publish listing?

Hi all!

I'm an avid Airbnb traveler, soon to be first time host. My questions is, how far in advance did you publish your listing before your first available date? I'm planning to "launch" my home in June, however thinking if its a smart idea to publish a few weeks in advance to welcome those not-so-last-minute travelers. 

Any tips would be greatly appreciated!

1 Best Answer
Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Lucy702  You will actually want travellers who plan and book well in advance. People who book last minute tend to be disorganized, expect you to rush around trying to accommodate them, often haven't bothered to thoroughly read through your listing description and house rules. 

They also might be intending to throw a party, or are using it for things like drug dealing and prostitution.

Of course there are legitimate reasons someone might need a place last minute, but you have to be really careful.

When you first list, you get a new listing boost in search rankings. No one seems to know how long that lasts, maybe a couple of weeks. So you don't want to list way ahead of when the place will be ready.  If you are planning to open the first of June, maybe list the 3rd week of April or first of May. 

Most of my guests tend to book 3 weeks or so ahead, but I'm in a different part of the world, in a tourist beach town, so they have to plan ahead with airline tickets, etc. You may find you have a much shorter average lead time than that on bookings.

View Best Answer in original post

4 Replies 4
Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Lucy702  You will actually want travellers who plan and book well in advance. People who book last minute tend to be disorganized, expect you to rush around trying to accommodate them, often haven't bothered to thoroughly read through your listing description and house rules. 

They also might be intending to throw a party, or are using it for things like drug dealing and prostitution.

Of course there are legitimate reasons someone might need a place last minute, but you have to be really careful.

When you first list, you get a new listing boost in search rankings. No one seems to know how long that lasts, maybe a couple of weeks. So you don't want to list way ahead of when the place will be ready.  If you are planning to open the first of June, maybe list the 3rd week of April or first of May. 

Most of my guests tend to book 3 weeks or so ahead, but I'm in a different part of the world, in a tourist beach town, so they have to plan ahead with airline tickets, etc. You may find you have a much shorter average lead time than that on bookings.

Dale711
Level 10
Paris, France

Hi @Lucy702,

Welcome to the community!

You can create a listing in the Host section of your profile. After you publish your listing, it may take up to 72 hours to appear in search results. Learn how to attract guests and secure bookings with an excellent listing description in the Resource Center.

As Airbnb link below, 

https://www.airbnb.com/help/article/1336/how-do-i-become-a-host-of-a-place-to-stay

And

What factors determine how my listing shows in search results?

https://www.airbnb.com/help/article/39/what-factors-determine-how-my-listing-shows-in-search-results

Happy Hosting!

Alexandra316
Level 10
Lincoln, Canada

@Lucy702 I agree with @Sarah977 on time frame: 3 weeks to a month ahead should be good though. However... if you're waiting to start hosting because the listing isn't finished, I would hold off. If you can't provide accurate pictures and details on what you'll be offering, it's best not to list. Setting accurate expectations for your guests is probably the most important part of hosting and nothing can tank reviews faster than guests who believed that they would get one thing but instead received something different.

I published a week before my first available dates and my first available dates were booked. The new host boost works! Make sure you're ready for it. 

Elena87
Level 10
СПБ, Russia

@Lucy702 

Have a look at the calendars of some of the listings that are located nearby.

As a rough guide you can gauge by the calendar availability how far ahead bookings are made.