New Host in Philadelphia

Elyssa0
Level 1
Philadelphia, PA

New Host in Philadelphia

Hi All,

I'm looking to become a host in Philadelphia, PA. I want to make sure all of my bases are covered before I move forward. Does anyone know the rules and regulations for the city? Do I need a license? How do I know how much I should tax people?

Please help me out when you can! I would love to have this broken down so even I can understand it all.

Thanks,
Elyssa

15 Replies 15
Cynthia-and-Chris1
Level 10
Vancouver, WA

While we'd all like someone to hold our hand and walk us through every step of the process, the fact is we're all adults and responsible for obtaining this information on our own.

This should help you get started:  https://www.airbnb.com/help/article/876/philadelphia--pa

While I appreciate the sassy response I think we can agree it is good to play it safe and ask others what they have experienced.

I did view that article, but it never hurts to here the answer from someone else I don't want anything sneaking up on me and ruining this experience for anyone.

Elysa I started hosting last year and would be happy to chat with you. My phone number is [personal information hidden]. Also, there is also a "Meet Up" group for Philadelphia Air B&B hosts which can be a nice way to meet other local hosts and share ideas and questions. Unfortunately I only made it to one gathering last year because of my schedule conflicts, but the people I met there were lovely and helpful. Just wanted you to know there are local folks and resources available to help you navigate your new hosting venture. 

-Andrea

Hi Andrea...

I'm a new host in Fishtown and never obtained a license...was the process easy and how much does a license cost? 

info  do would be greatly appreciated! Also I'd like to know how I could get in on the meetings with other Philadelphia  he hosts. 

Regards,

Hi Lori,

The meetup group can be found here: https://www.meetup.com/Philly-Airbnb-Meetup/

I've been to one of the meetings and it was a very friendly atmosphere! You can share your ideas and concerns you may have here!

Hello Andrea,

My name is Leon and i am fairly new to Airbnb. After reading a bunch of forums and following the links provided by AirBnB, i saw your name in some of the responses and felt like you may be able to quickly clarify what i should expect to be taxed for as i begin to prepare my AirBnB earnings for this upcoming tax season? From my understanding, i am expected to report my earnings from 2017 since i hosted more than 14 days. Also, i dont have to worry about paying the occupancy tax (8.5%) since Airbnb now does that on our behalf at checkout. Any information would be extremely valuable. 

Soraya97
Level 1
New York, United States

Hi @Andrea63 

My business partner and I are looking to host Airbnb properties in Philadelphia. I would like to know if you are available for a chat, we would like to ask you pretty much the same questions  Elyssa ( @Elyssa0  ) has asked in this forum. We are seeking guidance and advice and what better way is to obtain it from a person who lives in Philadelphia. 

Looking forward to hearing from you soon. 

Vladimir0
Level 2
Philadelphia, PA

I think the Philadelphia page on Limited Lodging is easier to understand than the Airbnb Philadelphia page

https://business.phila.gov/limited-lodging-regulations/

As I understand it, if you rent your own home for less than 90 days per year you don't need to do anything (besides reporting income).  So if your occupancy rate is <25% you should be fine.

If you rent 90-180 days you need to pay $125 to the L&I department (by city hall) for a "use registration permit as a 'Limited Lodging Home'".

For 180+ days you need a "use registration permit for a 'Visitor Accommodations' use".

A rental license is not required.

A commercial activity license *is* required.

Airbnb pays the 8.5% occupancy tax for you.

Please correct me if I'm wrong on any of this!

Thank you Vladimir! Appreciate it!

This is so helpful Vladimir, thank you!

Soraya97
Level 1
New York, United States

This information is very helpful! Thank you for this. 

Andrea63
Level 2
Philadelphia, PA

Thank you Vladimir! Your response was helpful!

Hello i am new to airbnb and i was wondering if anyone was available to answer a couple questions i have. 

Good Evening Everyone,

My name is Gianni Matos and I just recently starting my own cleaning service business called Cleaning Rinse. I would love to add that I have been in the cleaning industry for quite sometime now. This is not a spam message, this is simply me explaining to you that I can take off the extra work out of your hands regarding cleaning the property you are listing on Airbnb.

If you would love to further communicate with me you can contact me at rinse@cleaningrinse.com or call me at (484) 466-6511‬. Thank you. 

Respectfully,
Gianni A. Matos