New coronavirus

Answered!
旬子0
Level 2
Kyoto, Japan

New coronavirus

My guesthouse is currently closed for the new coronavirus. I'd like to  ask  foreign hosts that runs a guesthouse.  How does foreign hosts  respond to coronaviruse? We can see  many closed  lodgings, gusethouses and facilities in this Japan. Is it difficult for us every hosts to make  a living in this job in this era?

1 Best Answer
Debra300
Level 10
Gros Islet, Saint Lucia

I closed guesthouse in St. Lucia is closed until at least the end of August.  The government has closed the borders, and only commercial cargo is allowed through the air and sea ports.  There is a curfew on island from 7 p.m. to 5 a.m. daily.  Gradually, businesses have been allowed to re-open.  However, all of the tourism related businesses remain closed. 

In general, most of the citizens are practicing social distancing and wearing masks while in public.  There are some rebels, but on a small island there is a lot of community pressure to follow guidelines.  Thankfully, the coronavirus mitigation plan is working. There have been on 19 confirmed cases with no one having been put on a respirator or deaths.

Right now, a 14 day quarantine is required of anyone entering the island.  On May 8, 219 St. Lucian former cruise ship employees returned to the island, and they are all in quarantine.  Tourism is the life's blood for most of the region (some islands also do financial services and oil production).  The governments of all Caribbean islands are working plans to start accepting international travelers as soon as next month.  A lot of the guidelines will depend upon if increased testing is available and performed at the departure locations.

I am taking this time to renovate my spaces to be more self-contained, and look forward to this winter when the snow birds come down.

View Best Answer in original post

4 Replies 4
Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@旬子0  Yes, hosts in many places are totally closed to bookings right now and hosts really need to find another way to make money. Here in Mexico, Airbnb blocked my entire calendar for April and May because of directives from the Mexican govt. I have no idea if it will be extended, and even if we were allowed to host right now, I wouldn't, because my listing is a private room in my home and I share the kitchen with my guests. At this point, coronavirus in Mexico hasn't peaked yet, and certainly doesn't look like it's going to go down anytime soon, despite the govt's assurance that it is. There are tons of people who don't "get it" and aren't distancing or wearing masks, although most non-essential businesses are forced to stay closed and self-isolation is ordered, so it's not likely that we'll see a reduction in cases until enough people get sick and die that people believe it's actually a major issue.

I miss hosting, and the extra income, but I'm not dependent on it, and would rather be safe than sorry. So I don't foresee opening again until October or November, at the earliest, unless things get way better or there is a vaccine.

旬子0
Level 2
Kyoto, Japan

• The human psychology is terrible. If 1,000 people are infected in a country, most people do not go out and do not use a guest house. The government tells people to be at home, but the government has to take the blame for words
However.We
mayafraid

that we stay at the  hotel with masks and

disinfection liquid. It is hard to  survive without  the special benefit  from the 

government. 

Thank you for  reading my sentence.

Debra300
Level 10
Gros Islet, Saint Lucia

I closed guesthouse in St. Lucia is closed until at least the end of August.  The government has closed the borders, and only commercial cargo is allowed through the air and sea ports.  There is a curfew on island from 7 p.m. to 5 a.m. daily.  Gradually, businesses have been allowed to re-open.  However, all of the tourism related businesses remain closed. 

In general, most of the citizens are practicing social distancing and wearing masks while in public.  There are some rebels, but on a small island there is a lot of community pressure to follow guidelines.  Thankfully, the coronavirus mitigation plan is working. There have been on 19 confirmed cases with no one having been put on a respirator or deaths.

Right now, a 14 day quarantine is required of anyone entering the island.  On May 8, 219 St. Lucian former cruise ship employees returned to the island, and they are all in quarantine.  Tourism is the life's blood for most of the region (some islands also do financial services and oil production).  The governments of all Caribbean islands are working plans to start accepting international travelers as soon as next month.  A lot of the guidelines will depend upon if increased testing is available and performed at the departure locations.

I am taking this time to renovate my spaces to be more self-contained, and look forward to this winter when the snow birds come down.

旬子0
Level 2
Kyoto, Japan

I am pleased with your reply.  I am very happy  . That's a long sentence to love and show to my  colleagues. Surviving is very hard  for us.  Now  is the time to endure.  God bless   you.  Special thanks .

Your word will do  the people over the world   good.