New guest booked date previously booked guest wanted to switch to.

Andrew919
Level 2
Welland, Canada

New guest booked date previously booked guest wanted to switch to.

A guest had booked 1 night, had changed the date once before, sent in another request to change the date for the following week. Before I could respond and accept, a new guest,  booked the date the already booked guest was looking to have, thru instant booking. What to do? 

Not wanting to cancel anyone, but not sure what to do. I've sent a note to the previously booked guest but haven't heard back yet - not sure what i'm supposed to do. 🙂

Thanks in advance for any help.

4 Replies 4
Elena87
Level 10
СПБ, Russia

@Andrew919

With this quirk of timing, you will have a guest reservation amendment that you can't fulfil as the date is no longer available. I'm suprised the airbnb system doesn't inform the guest automatically that their amendment request is invalid, maybe another quirk.

You can only decline the amendment and inform the guest that the requested date is no longer available - the original reservation for the guest will then remain. It would be up to them to decide if they initiate a cancellation or proceed with the reservation.

If the guest wants to cancel, make sure they cancel from their end, don't you do it.

Perhaps the original booker might change plans once again though, at least you have a confirmed booking from the second guest.

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

Sounds like your first guest is messing you about.

You just need to tell the guest that wants to change, that the date they want to change to is not available and therefore they need to choose another alternative date, or cancel the booking, is there is not an alternative available that they want.

Linda108
Level 10
La Quinta, CA

@Andrew919    The system favors booked over potential book all the time because of the Instant Book program.  If you want more control over the reservation process you would have to disable IB.  I have had many instances of a guest using IB getting the booking while another guest was being indecisive and actually it usually works out in my favor.  Good luck!

Letti0
Level 10
Atascosa, TX

@Andrew919  For heaven sakes change you cancellation policy to at least Moderate. You are Flexible this guest can cancel or change his reservation at a whim without any penalty to him as he's doing because of it. The system will send a message to the guest that wants to switch dates again that the reservation change is no longer possible. You do nothing. Hopefully he will cancel he's already issuing red flags and your pricing should be higher. You are not going to cover your costs at the rate you are at currently $46 USD per night for 2 guest. Your direct competition that's not as nice is at $75-$125 USD. Raise your price to $75 USD with $15 USD extra for each guest over 2. Once you have more reviews raise it again.