New guest with no reviews has not communicated

Mimi226
Level 1
Rose Hill, KS

New guest with no reviews has not communicated

Hey hive! I've been hosting since 2013 & have never encountered a guest who never messaged me. He comes next week & though he's been a member for a few years he has no reviews. I have sent him a couple messages asking what brings him to the area,  also mentioned that it is important for hosts to hear from their guests so we can best accomodate them.  I am going to cancel if I hear nothing,  but wondered what y'all thought? TIA Mimi in Kansas

4 Replies 4
Branka-and-Silvia0
Level 10
Zagreb, Croatia

@Mimi226  if you have instant booking enabled then you can set up "Pre-booking message required" - Require guests to read and respond to a message before they confirm their reservation.

go to your listing/ policies and rules .... and set the part marked red on this picture

111222.png

another thing you can do is to require in your house rules and description that guests have to tell you  in advance the exact time of arrival so you can plan your day and come on time to meet them. Or, they can call you when they arrive at the address but you may need an hour to arrive 🙂  (it works 100%)

If you provide a code for self-check-in then don't send it automatically by Airbnb. Let guests to contact you to get the code.

M199
Level 10
South Bruce Peninsula, Canada

@Mimi226 

I'm seeing red flags here just from instinct, because of 0 reviews.

May I suggest that you....

1st - Contact Airbnb and have a "note" put on the reservation that the guest is not responding to communications (and also notify them of your next step below)

2nd - Message your guest that since he is not responding that you may have to cancel his reservation due to lack of communication.

In my thought process...

1 - You are alerting Airbnb

2 - You  are being proactive

3 - You  are building your case if something is not above board

4 - Your guest has effectively been "warned/notified.

M199
Level 10
South Bruce Peninsula, Canada

@Mimi226 

Further to my previous thread.  Make sure everything is documented via the Airbnb system.

Amanda660
Level 10
Auchenblae, United Kingdom

I had a guest like this a couple of weeks ago, just wouldn’t communicate.  Have you tried phoning him?  I I managed to pin him

down that way in the end.