New host - I'm nervous!

Deirdra0
Level 1
Boston, MA

New host - I'm nervous!

Hello!

I just got a request for my apartment and I am realizing that I'm super nervous.

How do I know if this person is safe and sound?

Is that just a risk people take? 

This is my apartment that I would rent out and stay with a friend down the street. Is it ok to leave most of my things in the apartment? I am completely new and have so many questions?

Thank you for your help!

Happy Hosting 🙂

Deirdra

7 Replies 7
Greg14
Level 2
Manchester, NH

Hi @Deirdra0,

Welcome!

Here are a few things I do to make myself more comfortable with people I'm welcoming into my homes:

> Only accept guests who have a complete profile (photo, multiple verifications - especially offline ID, a description)

> Have a short conversation with them via messaging, getting details about their trip (I ask what brings them to my town to get the convo started). Generally I can tell if something is a little off with them through their conversation skills, or lack thereof.

Even after feeling generally comfortable with the person online and accepting their reservation, you should still protect yourself and your belongings by removing anything super valuable to you before welcoming the guest into your home. Other things that aren't as valuable, but that you don't want a guest using/touching, lock in a closet that only you have the key to. If you leave something out and tell them not to touch/use, they may not obey your request, so it's best to get it out of their reach.

I rent out my vacation condo when I'm not there, and when I leave I make sure that all of my personal belongings either come with me or get locked up at my friends' places. When I am there, I'll sometimes rent out the couch, which means I'm sharing the condo with strangers. I've had positive experiences with all of them and didn't spend too much time worrying about hiding all of my valuables, but did take some precautions to hide some of my belongings.

I also rent out my spare bedroom at home in NH while I'm there, with positive results. That being said, setting clear boundaries of where guests can and cannot go is key. People generally are good (and the two-way review system on Airbnb helps keep people honest to an extent), but you always want to be cautious.

Those are my thoughts at the moment...

All great advice ...  but get a pic of their return ticket and passport..   I have one here now sulking because I asked him to leave on agreed date...  

Andrea9
Level 10
Amsterdam, Netherlands

Hi @Deirdra0

Also beef up your house rules to clear points. Not everybody has the same values and automatically respects another person's property.

For example, think of things like what if they decide to bring another or more guests to stay?

My advice to new hosts is to peruse this forum for examples of problems other hosts had. That is the best thing you can do to quickly educate yourself on this whole hosting adventure.

Katie16
Level 2
Yallingup, Australia

My first experience hosting was absolutely petrifying! But it all worked out absolutely perfectly. Good luck and enjoy the experience!

Kate64
Level 2
Liverpool, United Kingdom

My fist experience was completely nerve wrecking.
It ended up with a lovely family from China cooking me an authentic Chinese meal and tidying my kitchen!!

I agree with everyone's advice.
Have a chat before you accept the reservations.
I always make it clear I will be around (so don't even think of having a massive party)
Check out their previous reviews and verifications.
If anything feels "off" about a reservation request - don't accept it.
At the end of the day it's your home so you need to be happy who is staying there.

Good luck and l hope you meet some fabulous people like I have.

Kate.
Dave45
Level 2
Saint John's, Canada

My second guests are staying at my place currenty.  This all came on so fast!  I posted pics as feelers more than anything, and now my place is booked up for weeks!

Anyway, my son and I live in the house so we're staying elsewhere (friends close by) when I have guests.  My first guests were fantastic!  This guy, I'm not so sure.  My neighbor texted last night to say that they were partying there, so today I went down there to check on the place.  The place is spotless, which is good, and the guy only had a small group over there.  They just happened to be loud.  Anyway, he has the booked until Friday, which makes me nervous.  I have two great neighbors who will keep me aprised of what's going on, and I'm not worried about losing any valuables.  I am concerned though, that there is about 10 dozen beer in the kitchen right now!  I'm not exaggerating.  

I told him parties are not allowed because my neighbors have a baby and a toddler..not to mention the fact that it's my house!  He seems aggreable and hopefully it was a one-time thing.  

So if he has a party tonight, I'm pulling the plug on this.  Is the refund handled via Airbnb?

Thanks, fingers crossed this won't be an issue! 

Marilyn242
Level 2
Point Pleasant, NJ

I’m also nervous . My first time renting a room in my home. I spent all day yesterday cleaning. The place is spotless. I even got a few small as welcome basket .