New host being targeted with scam?

Amber580
Level 1
Tallahassee, FL

New host being targeted with scam?

I approved a booking from my guest that had 12 five star reviews. He was supposed to check in yesterday at 2o’clock but I never heard back from him with multiple messages. I  messaged him again this morning and heard nothing. I called the number on his profile and the person said it was the wrong number. Finally I got a call from a number I didn’t recognize.. it was his friend that’s said he was staying in the Airbnb as the original guest had food poisoning... I immediately contacted Airbnb and changed the code on the door and all is fine, but what were they trying to do?? I mean were they ever even going to check in? It’s possible the person‘s account was hacked, but I’m just trying to figure out what their their plan was? It’s very scary as a new host when you approve someone with 12 five star reviews and it ends up being some sort of fraudulent activity. Thank goodness they never checked in for whatever reason. 

1 Reply 1
Brian2036
Level 10
Arkansas, United States

@Amber580 

I suppose it could be true but it’s very suspicious.

And, true or not, guests are not allowed to transfer their reservations to anyone else. They would technically be subleasing your listing.

I’m glad you got rid of them, whoever they are.

It’s difficult to say what they had planned but I doubt that it would have benefited you.