New host - need input for bad guest's review

Jackie218
Level 2
Boulder, CO

New host - need input for bad guest's review

Hello everyone, this is my 2nd attempt at getting some advice regarding reviewing my last guest as the first posting was marked as spam and removed. Here goes...

I'm a new host and have only had 2 sets of guests. My first guests were experienced air bnb travelers and an absolute delight. They rated me with 5 stars across the board, as I did them.

My 2nd guest was pretty awful. She was brand new to air bnb and my home was her first stay. Unfortunately, it was such a bad experience that I will no longer host folks who do not have previous reviews.

For starters, she broke my shower fixture off of the wall and didn't tell me. I found it in 4 pieces on the floor of her bathroom. She used so much toilet paper (3 rolls in 2 days) that my main line became clogged and had to be professionally snaked / repaired, even though my listing and my house rules state that I live in a 118 year old farm house and the septic and plumbing must be treated gently. She became very hostile immediately when she arrived when I reminded her that kitchen priveledges are not part of my listing. She was so angry that I acquiesced for the sake of peace and allowed her to store her wine and beer in my refrigerator. This led to her using my kitchen as an office space, as well as just generally walking through my entire home, including opening my private bathroom door without even knocking, to ask me a question, as I stood there in my bathrobe after a shower. She also walked through my muddy horse pasture in flip flops and refused to rinse the muck and mud off of her feet because she wanted to "absorb the nutrients". She was very dirty and sloppy, to say the least, and I could barely wait for her to leave my home.

My dilemma is that I don't know what to do about reviewing her. Is it best not to review her at all? Any input is appreciated. Thank you in advance.

2 Replies 2
Linda108
Level 10
La Quinta, CA

Not reviewing is  not an option in my mind, @Jackie218.  If you do not recommend her as a guest, just do a thumbs down recommendation.  She will not be able to use IB with that.  Also, you can do a short review that simply states, "Guest is better served in a hotel as was unable to adhere to share economy rules."

From what you describe, you can anticipate a negative review.  Your response to that review should demonstrate your professional caring for guests.  Keep the response short and not defensive.  Something like:  "As a host I always want my guests' expectations to be met and exceeded.  Unfortunately this guest's expectations would have been better served by a hotel rather than a share home.  Hope this helps!

Thanks so much for your helpful advice @Linda108 , I really appreciate it!

I'll be sure to leave her some type of a professional review, but will wait until the last minute to do so.

Thanks again for taking the time to give me your input!