New host, worried about renting out my place, need advise

Diana1523
Level 1
Kuala Lumpur, MY

New host, worried about renting out my place, need advise

Hi everyone. I have a lovely traditional joglo-style room that I am thinking to list here on AirBnB but after reading up and thinking things through, I feel a little apprehensive and worried about receiving guests.

Here are my main concerns:

1- What if a guest trips and falls in my room / bathroom and decides to blame me? Do I need to put up a "caution - wet floor" sign in the bathroom?

2 - What if a guest gets really drunk and hurt themselves in my room and decides to blame me?

3 - What if a guest brings back a "Lady of the Night" or use illegal substances in my room? How do I stop him / her and should I report him to the local authorities?

4 - What if a guest damages the things in my room and then gets electrocuted / hurt and then tries to blame me?

5. Should I just get them to sign some kind of legal agreement / waiver form?

Any advise would be appreciated.

Thanks.

2 Replies 2
Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

1. What if a guest trips and falls in my room / bathroom and decides to blame me? Do I need to put up a "caution - wet floor" sign in the bathroom?

If you think there is a safety hazard of wet floors in the bathroom, then yes put up a warning sign.

2 - What if a guest gets really drunk and hurt themselves in my room and decides to blame me?

This would be the guests fault if their behaviour led to them hurting themselves.

3 - What if a guest brings back a "Lady of the Night" or use illegal substances in my room? How do I stop him / her and should I report him to the local authorities?

Install CCTV or similar to monitor use of your listing. Having house rules that say that only guests who have booked and paid can be at your listing. If you know the guest is taking drugs or bringing in prostitutes in your listing you can ask Airbnb to cancel the booking.

4 - What if a guest damages the things in my room and then gets electrocuted / hurt and then tries to blame me?

Why would guests be vulnerable to electrocution in your listing? Look up airbnb host protection insurance for cover on this.

5. Should I just get them to sign some kind of legal agreement / waiver form?

Guests already sign up to airbnb's T&Cs when they book.

Amanda184
Level 2
Bondi Beach, Australia

Hi I havebeen hosting 3 years, IF YOU ARE worried about bathroom put matts down. Your rules are your safe guard,I was a bit apprehensive too, but state "

1.No excessive alcohol drinking,or drugs prohibited.Is the place empty or are you living there as well. I live in house and people behave themselves  .if empty keep walking in every day to dispose of rubbish and check all rooms. get your own keys for rooms.If bottles everywhere contact host and tell them its not on and in rules,ring airbnb and they can make sure any damage by guests cleaning is paid for.

2.No Invitees,once they come in and are introduced some people think they can stay, they must ask you if anyone else can enter ,if worried explain they are not verified and you do not know who they are,so no.

3.If really worried get extra NRMA insurance but its $500.

4.charge for one person and extra $25 for extra person otherwise they want a discount if only one person.

Hope this helps,dont worry people are generally very nice and helpful in cleaning up.