New potential guest. Is my profile all right?

Answered!
Johannes92
Level 2
Turku, Finland

New potential guest. Is my profile all right?

While I have stayed at airbnb as a guest a couple of times now, this has been as a part of a larger group of people and reservation has been made by seasoned airbnb guests. Last Friday I tried to find a place to stay but got immediately rejected (in minutes) by two hosts. Back then I had the same profile picture as now but description was very short and basic and I hadn't verified my id yet. To prevent this from happening again, I have done my best to flesh out my profile.

How does my profile appear now to a host trying to decide if I am a guest they would be willing to have over? What are the good, the bad and the ugly of my profile? How could I further improve it to increase my chances of successfully using airbnb as a guest for the first time?

Any, replies, comments, remarks and suggestions are very much appreciated! Please be brutally honest, offending me is very difficult 😉

1 Best Answer
Kelly149
Level 10
Austin, TX

@Johannes92 agreed, no mention of 5* & rather than all the bit about activities and hobbies I'd want you to address the bad review directly.

"I intend to be tidy and polite and respect your home. I was a part of a group who disappointed a host. I want to cultivate my own profile and I will work to be an excellent guest."

Also, I have a stellar profile and still get lots of declines if I send out inquiries. Many hosts have profiles but aren't actually very active. I'd look for a listing that appears to be very regularly booked rather than one that is only in use occasionally. 

View Best Answer in original post

5 Replies 5
Marit-Anne0
Level 10
Bergen, Norway

@Johannes92

I think it boils down to that not very nice review as part of a group.  You may have to start a new profile and take care to follow house rules in the future.   

Did you leave a review for your stay - potential hosts would possibly check that as well.

Elizabeth429
Level 10
Madrid, Spain

@Johannes92 ,

You seem to have a pretty bad review there!

I liked your profile. I would suggest adding you are an organised, clean and respectful guest, if you really are!!

I would take away the part where you say you would give 5 stars to the host if things go well. To me it sounds like a threat. Like hosts have to walk in egg shells around you not to upset you.

Anyway, good luck!

Elena87
Level 10
СПБ, Russia

@Johannes92

Try smiling on your profile picture.

Kelly149
Level 10
Austin, TX

@Johannes92 agreed, no mention of 5* & rather than all the bit about activities and hobbies I'd want you to address the bad review directly.

"I intend to be tidy and polite and respect your home. I was a part of a group who disappointed a host. I want to cultivate my own profile and I will work to be an excellent guest."

Also, I have a stellar profile and still get lots of declines if I send out inquiries. Many hosts have profiles but aren't actually very active. I'd look for a listing that appears to be very regularly booked rather than one that is only in use occasionally. 

Thank you Kelly, I found your advice very helpful. I followed your suggestion to directly address the bad review, doing it in the first paragraph. I will also keep in mind what you said about listings.