Hi All,

I am new to AirBNB, my host is Verified and has 411 reviews.  He is asking to communicate via whatsapp instead of through AirBnB.  Is that normal?  I see all the warning signs about communicating only through AirBnB. But due to his verified status and reviews, I am wondering if I should communicate there?  Thanks!

26 Replies

Re: New to AirBNB - Communication via Whatsapp

in
South Korea
Level 10

@Melissa346 

If a guest wants to communicate thru IM I say "sure but I"m going to repeat or copy+paste everything onto the Airbnb messenger as proof - are you okay with this?" and everyone has been till now. 

I actually get why people don't want to use the Airbnb app messenger...... cause it's sh***y and in my case, for some reason the pings are always late (anywhere from a couple mins to half an hour). 

in
Mexico
Level 3

I like that idea

in
Australia
Level 1

I have just started travelling around South America and every Airbnb hosts asks to communicate through whatsapp for some reason. It hasn’t been a problem, but I actually find the Airbnb app better because it has a built in translator which makes it much easier than whatsapp. It is a little strange they all ask the same thing though?

Level 1

Estimados,tengo un problema que solucionar por error de liquidez en tarjeta de debito.

Por favor necesito que me habiliten nuevamente

el alojamiento  de " la huerta " de Maldonado,Uruguay. 

Mi nombre es Jorge Mena  +59896103424

in
Santiago, Chile
Level 2

Hello, on March 20, I made the cancellation of a reservation in Barcelona, I received the confirmation, because even today I do not have a refund, I have made several complaints and notices of this and still no solution, I find the attention very bad and little serious, I need to tell me something about it -

in
Sayulita, Mexico
Level 10

@Patricio132  You have posted this on a discussion forum for hosts and guests. No one here can do anything about your refund- you need to contact Airbnb customer service directly.

Level 1

Hola, preciso ayuda para un cobro por favor. Tengo retenido un pago. Gracias!

in
Arkansas, United States
Level 10

I had an issue just this morning with long delays on the Airbnb app when I was trying to deal with a legitimate guest complaint. It was very frustrating.

Once a guest has booked and paid I would much rather communicate directly via WhatsApp, text message, email or telephone.

in
Sayulita, Mexico
Level 10

@Brian2036  I have no issue communicating certain things with guests off-platform. But if you are dealing with something that might prove to be contentious, or less than honest guests (which you may not be aware of at the time) that's when it's wise to use ABB messaging.

For instance, you may respond immediately and responsibly to a legitimate guest complaint, but a guest who is trying to scam a refund could claim you never responded at all if the conversation took place by phone.

But maybe you don't get those types of guests- I don't.

However, if we stay on platform, it's certainly unacceptable for messaging to be glitchy.

in
Arkansas, United States
Level 10

I have a strong suspicion that the real reason Airbnb doesn’t want off-platform communication has more to do with the possibility that people will make private deals to deprive Airbnb of their fees and little to do with anyone’s safety.

in
Sayulita, Mexico
Level 10

@Brian2036  Oh, I think you're right there- Airbnb is purely concerned with their own bottom line. But hosts have had situations where Airbnb backed them up  because the guest lied to Airbnb and the host was able to prove it by referring CS to the message stream between host and guest. 

That said, I use texting, phone calls, etc. with guests quite a bit. For instance, I have to send them a map to my place because it's very tricky to find, and I do that by asking them for their email address and attaching the map to an email. Then I might send them further info on how to get the bus from the airport, also by email. And we might email about other pre-arrival stuff. And they often phone or text me when they arrrive so I can pick them up at the bus station, a little service I offer. Or while they are staying, I might text them if I'm at the store to see if they'd like me to pick anything up for them.

None of that is anything I would ever need "proof" over. But if a guest texted me to insist that they be given a refund because they wanted to cancel last minute, I would move that conversation to Airbnb messaging.

in
Arkansas, United States
Level 10

@Sarah977 :

That is a very wise and useful policy that everyone can adopt. I hadn’t thought about it until you mentioned it, so I thank you.

In my limited experience most people are honest and forthright and I don’t expect anything less. Sooner or later, however, someone with a feral nature will mistake my kindness for weakness and then I will have to correct their misapprehension.

That will definitely have to be on the record.