New to AirBNB - Communication via Whatsapp

Jonathan383
Level 1
Yorba Linda, CA

New to AirBNB - Communication via Whatsapp

Hi All,

I am new to AirBNB, my host is Verified and has 411 reviews.  He is asking to communicate via whatsapp instead of through AirBnB.  Is that normal?  I see all the warning signs about communicating only through AirBnB. But due to his verified status and reviews, I am wondering if I should communicate there?  Thanks!

28 Replies 28

@Melissa346 

If a guest wants to communicate thru IM I say "sure but I"m going to repeat or copy+paste everything onto the Airbnb messenger as proof - are you okay with this?" and everyone has been till now. 

I actually get why people don't want to use the Airbnb app messenger...... cause it's sh***y and in my case, for some reason the pings are always late (anywhere from a couple mins to half an hour). 

I like that idea

John4382
Level 1
Australia

I have just started travelling around South America and every Airbnb hosts asks to communicate through whatsapp for some reason. It hasn’t been a problem, but I actually find the Airbnb app better because it has a built in translator which makes it much easier than whatsapp. It is a little strange they all ask the same thing though?

Estimados,tengo un problema que solucionar por error de liquidez en tarjeta de debito.

Por favor necesito que me habiliten nuevamente

el alojamiento  de " la huerta " de Maldonado,Uruguay. 

Mi nombre es Jorge Mena  +59896103424

Patricio132
Level 2
Santiago, Chile

Hello, on March 20, I made the cancellation of a reservation in Barcelona, I received the confirmation, because even today I do not have a refund, I have made several complaints and notices of this and still no solution, I find the attention very bad and little serious, I need to tell me something about it -

@Patricio132  You have posted this on a discussion forum for hosts and guests. No one here can do anything about your refund- you need to contact Airbnb customer service directly.

Hola, preciso ayuda para un cobro por favor. Tengo retenido un pago. Gracias!

Brian2036
Level 10
Arkansas, United States

I had an issue just this morning with long delays on the Airbnb app when I was trying to deal with a legitimate guest complaint. It was very frustrating.

Once a guest has booked and paid I would much rather communicate directly via WhatsApp, text message, email or telephone.

@Brian2036  I have no issue communicating certain things with guests off-platform. But if you are dealing with something that might prove to be contentious, or less than honest guests (which you may not be aware of at the time) that's when it's wise to use ABB messaging.

For instance, you may respond immediately and responsibly to a legitimate guest complaint, but a guest who is trying to scam a refund could claim you never responded at all if the conversation took place by phone.

But maybe you don't get those types of guests- I don't.

However, if we stay on platform, it's certainly unacceptable for messaging to be glitchy.

Brian2036
Level 10
Arkansas, United States

I have a strong suspicion that the real reason Airbnb doesn’t want off-platform communication has more to do with the possibility that people will make private deals to deprive Airbnb of their fees and little to do with anyone’s safety.

@Brian2036  Oh, I think you're right there- Airbnb is purely concerned with their own bottom line. But hosts have had situations where Airbnb backed them up  because the guest lied to Airbnb and the host was able to prove it by referring CS to the message stream between host and guest. 

That said, I use texting, phone calls, etc. with guests quite a bit. For instance, I have to send them a map to my place because it's very tricky to find, and I do that by asking them for their email address and attaching the map to an email. Then I might send them further info on how to get the bus from the airport, also by email. And we might email about other pre-arrival stuff. And they often phone or text me when they arrrive so I can pick them up at the bus station, a little service I offer. Or while they are staying, I might text them if I'm at the store to see if they'd like me to pick anything up for them.

None of that is anything I would ever need "proof" over. But if a guest texted me to insist that they be given a refund because they wanted to cancel last minute, I would move that conversation to Airbnb messaging.

Brian2036
Level 10
Arkansas, United States

@Sarah977 :

That is a very wise and useful policy that everyone can adopt. I hadn’t thought about it until you mentioned it, so I thank you.

In my limited experience most people are honest and forthright and I don’t expect anything less. Sooner or later, however, someone with a feral nature will mistake my kindness for weakness and then I will have to correct their misapprehension.

That will definitely have to be on the record.

Chris16452
Level 2
London, United Kingdom

I’ve just gone through this experience. The host contacted me via WhatsApp (without consent)

This is NOT OK.

They requested me fill out a form full of sensitive data, tried to upsell services (transfer / checkin) and also called me to chase.

I consider this a deep violation and breach. I paid Airbnb to protect me, there is a messaging feature on the app. I cancelled due to safety concerns (too many red flags) and Airbnb didn’t support me.

As far as I’m concerned Airbnb has information *everywhere* to keep communication on the platform but when a host steps outside of this they don’t support you.

Listen. To everyone reading this.
REPORT THE HOST & REPORT AIRBNB.

It’s not ok for a host to contact you on whatapp or any other personal social media platform.

It puts you at risk. It’s such a violation.

I’ve had so much of my time wasted interacted with Airbnb over my experience.  I refuse to do emotional labour when I’m on my trip because ths service I PAY to protect me, to make me feel safe.

I just had an interesting case where the host asked to contact on WhatsApp which I don't have installed. I did give him my details to contact on Telegram expecting it to turn out badly but instead I was surprised because he sent me a set of videos for how to find the entrance to the building, the door code to get into the building, the path to the elevator and then how to operate the smartlock on the door to the apartment. Not sure if airBNB's messaging system allows videos to be sent, but definitely something to think of in the future...if they want to contact you off platform about gaining entry to the place, I'd mention not being comfortable about communicating off platform but if they are sending videos about gaining entry to the place, that seems acceptable.