New to Airbnb - 1st time reservation mysteriously cancelled

Si1
Level 1
England, United Kingdom

New to Airbnb - 1st time reservation mysteriously cancelled

It seems I have been the victim of a hacking.

I booked a room in Newcastle UK for two nights to attend my cousins wedding, but last night I had an email to say that my registered phone number had been changed and that 'I' had cancelled the reservation and will be refunded apart from a booking fee and the £25 newbie coupon I used. I also saw notice that the last recorded log in to the site was from the US (I live in the UK) -hence the hack.

I managed to get hold of somone from Air B and B on the phone who seemed very helpful and that he would pass this over to someone to handle, expected by end of today.

I am concerned that I have not only lost the booking but fees and a £25 coupon. It is not a great loss, but not a good intro to Airbnb so far. The Customer Service in dealing with this will be telling.

Anyone else had this sort of experience or is it a one off?

3 Replies 3
Andrea9
Level 10
Amsterdam, Netherlands

@Si1

Terrible that this happened to you. There are many scammers who try to attack hosts and apparently guests too. Always be wary of emails sending you to a link asking to log in. That is how scammers get email or phone nos. with login code.

Keep contacting Airbnb if they do not get back to you as promised. And also, if you haven't already changed your password, do it immediately!

If it takes too long to reach Airbnb or get them to react, it seems to get their attention immediatly if you post on their Facebook page or Twitter about having been hacked.

Hope you get this sorted quickly!

Todd44
Level 1
Victor, ID

We are in the direct path of this very special eclipse on 21 Aug 2017. Every resort, hotel, rental is sold out in our Jackson Hole area. Even NASA bought out the Motel 6. This is such a special event that people from all over the world are converging on our 100 mile wide radius. 

Cancellations a week out is not strict enough of a policy in this circumstance (basically a once in a lifetime event).

any suggestions?

Andrea9
Level 10
Amsterdam, Netherlands

@Todd44

Unfortunately nothing you can do about it when using Airbnb services. They don't give another more reliable option to cover hosts better in such cases.