Answered!
Stephanie
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

New to hosting? We’ve got you covered!

Stephanie_0-1623249364859.png

Hiya everyone,

We’re very pleased to announce a brand new board on the Community Center: the New to Hosting board!

This is a dedicated space where new hosts can share their beginner questions and stories, and we encourage all of you lovely experienced hosts to share the wisdom of your journeys and support of new members.

We’ve moved some amazing threads over to the board already so there’s some great tips to get new hosts started: a big thanks to all of you who contributed on them over the past few months and years.

What’s the best tip you’ve received on the Community Center?

It’ll be great to see how the CC has helped all manner of hosts in different ways and share your appreciation for your fellow community members.

Thanks,

Stephanie

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines 

1 Best Answer
Stephanie
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

This content is in our Archive board.

You can still access it if you have the link but it won't appear when you search the Community Center.

To ask a new question in the Community Center, please click:

Stephanie_0-1677151830470.png

Thanks

-----

View Best Answer in original post

74 Replies 74

Have you set your own rate, or are you set to the optimized pricing that Air B'nB sets based on local demand?  They may have based the 25% on a lower rate that they changed without you knowing...

@Stella543 I am afraid @Airbnb will not help you as this is a community forum. If you are a new host I suspect the 20% initial booking discount has added to the 25% monthly discount although the two do not add up precisely.

thank you both.  I have worked out my error as I also set a special monthly rate.  with hindsight it probably too little with the raise of costs so I can try and do an amend to increase slightly.  I am wondering though what happens if they decide they don't want to stay the duration or in fact I don't want them for the duration if we are receiving complaints from neighbours?  I will ask Airbnb on help those questions as have found out how to do that now.  thank you again for your help. 

@Stella543 you can try Airbnb help but will probably get better answers here.

If either you or the guest want to change the length of their stay you can do so easy BUT ONLY if the other party agrees. Of course if they are breaking your house rules you can get them out early but it could be problematic to prove.

How are you able to change duration/cost.   I can't see an option to do so whilst request is pending? Unless I decline and reset costs? Regards Stella 

Ps you are right airbnb have said they will come back to me with no response yet 🙂

@Stella543 Sorry I though you meant changing the duration once the stay had started. I think your only option now is to decline the stay. It is highly likely you will upset the guest if you try to up the price so you have the choice of either 

a) accept the booking at the price listed or

b) decline the booking, fix your pricing and accept you will need to find another guest.

When starting out you really need many short term lets to gain reviews.

Thank you again.  Yes I'm at a balance of reviews and covering costs.  Because I'm not in a traditional holiday let area I like the safety of this booking for the duration and will help cover some initial set up costs, plus the people seem very nice.   Decisions to be made! Thank you you've been a huge help.  Have a great day.

@Sarah4381 this is a community centre so please don't expect an answer from Airbnb here. I think that if you put a change request to your guest you can then specify the new price you want to charge so you can correct the error if there is one.

I am just wondering if the fact you have already been paid for the first 30 days is coming into this situation hence the reduced price is for 13 days remaining not the whole 43 days but it is hard to tell without the details only you have

Christine3142
Level 2
Washington, NC

Hello! I just had my second guests, they left this morning. First off when they booked they booked for 3 Adults and 2 kids. (my house sleeps 6) when they arrived Friday morning at 1am. My outdoor security camera caught more than 3 Adults and 2 children entering the home. It looked like there was about 7 children and 6 adults. The next day I had asked my cleaning company to swing by and take a look and she said there is definitely more than 1 family in the house. I was a bit upset but wanted to give my guest the benefit of the doubt because after all she had 5 great reviews from other hosts. Check out time was 11am they didn't leave until 11:30am when my cleaning crew came they said the house was a disaster. They left a huge mess. Normal cleaning time is 3 hours it took them 5 hours (extra charge for this). Plus there is damage to one of the bathroom sinks. They damaged the water stopper in the sink and it appears to be broken off, also stains on the couch, etc. What can I do after the fact? I do have security camera footage and witness that my guest had way more than 6 people in my house.

Hi! I’m new to Airbnb. We have our first guests on Friday! I’m just a little worried because it doesn’t seem like we have access to see the guest ID or any other information. We are doing instabooking and the only requirements seem to be for the guest to have provided a proof of ID and positive reviews. But how can I know if the ID is current? Also, the only review they have is from a few years ago. I chatted with her through messages and she sounds with good intentions but I feel like I am always taking a risk not knowing who is coming to my house. Is there a way to see their IDs? 

Joanne757
Level 1
Cornwallis Park, Canada

I want to send the guest who's arriving today a message on the Airbnb site to tell him where to park but I don't know how to find him on my profile to write the message.   

@Joanne757  you should have this info in your check in instructions. (you can only do this via the phone app, which is annoying)

otherwise you should set up scheduled messaging about stuff like this. the app is better because you can attach photos. 

Hello everyone, in the Inbox I have some requests pending for a booking on airbnb experiences. I see no options to accept those requests as a host, I've looked online and haven't been able to find an answer. 

Could it be that I can't accept the pending request because the payment hasn't been processed through airbnb? 

I've already had a few pending requests expired and I don't know what to do or what to make of it. 

Any help or information is greatly appreciated, thank you! 

Hanna2087
Level 2
Stockholm, Sweden

Hi! 
I have a question, I just had to cancel a reservation when I thought my calendar was blocked. It now says it will deduct from my next payout… but what happens if I don’t host within the near future? 

Stephanie
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

This content is in our Archive board.

You can still access it if you have the link but it won't appear when you search the Community Center.

To ask a new question in the Community Center, please click:

Stephanie_0-1677151830470.png

Thanks

-----